DIR training donating the Primary question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CincyBengalsFan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
When taking a DIR class/seminar/course when practicing the donating of the primary with the instructor.

Would the instructor have a problem doing this with a HIV+ patient?

Assuming the HIV+ white blood cells and neutrophils were strong enough to get into the open water without problem.

Does anyone have a problem practicing donating the primary when it comes to personal Hygene or just swapping spit throughout the practice?

This is of course intended for curiousty and not bashing.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
<snip>This is of course intended for curiousty and not bashing.
intended for trolling of course

Your post made me even happier that I'm engaged to my buddy :D

hmmm... I was always wondering about it.... I never really liked to exchange spit with unknown poeple... one hting is in the emergency, but when you are in a safe environment, the thought does come to mind....

JeffG once bubbled...

intended for trolling of course

Even if it is intended for trolling. Just..What if..... Personally I've never come across this and I do teach buddy breathing. I'm not sure how I would react.

VTernovski once bubbled...
hmmm... I was always wondering about it.... I never really liked to exchange spit with unknown poeple... one hting is in the emergency, but when you are in a safe environment, the thought does come to mind....

I agree, in an emergency..it's one thing..but to practice, that's another.

For years I've wondered about having students buy their own mouthpieces and just let them have the reg. for class. Or just budgeting mouthpieces for each student into the price of class. I've had real positive responses at the shop regarding this issue. I know of a shop that required people to purchase their own mouthpieces for class and there was never one complaint.

Even if it is intended for trolling. Just..What if..... Personally I've never come across this and I do teach buddy breathing. I'm not sure how I would react.
Well the true redneck answer would be...."Well they have already been sentenced to death, so whats the use."

Is that the way you are leaning?

I've actually seen disposable "mouthpiece condoms" for lack of a better term. Can't remember the specific product name. I believe the ad marketed them to students, and those who rented their gear.

When taking a DIR class/seminar/course when practicing the donating of the primary with the instructor.

Would the instructor have a problem doing this with a HIV+ patient?

Assuming the HIV+ white blood cells and neutrophils were strong enough to get into the open water without problem.

Does anyone have a problem practicing donating the primary when it comes to personal Hygene or just swapping spit throughout the practice?

This is of course intended for curiousty and not bashing.

Not sure if I can bail you out of this one, Cincy. If Rainbow Divers Dive Club finds out about your query, they might become very displeased.

First, the ocean water washes your mouthpiece pretty good during the transfer of the primary 2nd stage.

Second, we still do not know how HIV or AIDS is transmitted. Saliva transmission may very well be a myth.

Here in California, even close to San Francisco, this is just not something that we worry about in a scuba class. Therefore I doubt it would become a serious concern in Kentucky either.

no need to change mouthpeice, there is a mouthpeice condom, called octoguard that you can buy and put over the mouth peice. I've actually used it on rental regs, works well... but... that's not the point when buddy breaking or practicing the OOA drill... you are not going to stop and put the octoguard or a new mouthpeice before putting it in the mouth while doing the drill!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom