Short video shot with Nikon D90 and 18-70mm lens, Nauticam housing, 8.5 inch dome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoralKisser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was just testing out my new 8.5 inch dome port this past weekend and as I dont have my Tokina 10-17mm until next weekend I used my 18-70mm Nikon lens to see what would happen.
Not to bad! This is on the Arabia wreck in Tobermory Ontario. Make sure to watch it in 1080P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-syX5pz3R2E

Great vid! Let me know what you think of the Tokina 10-17 when you get it. Right now I'm looking at a the exact same setup but I still have no idea which strobe to get.

Regards,

Chris

Yes, quite nice. However, how exactly did you do video with a Nikon D90?

Seriously. All the Nikon D90's I've seen, including the one I own, cannot do video.

I'd love to take my Nikon under, however lack of video and the housing cost, it would be cheaper to go with a smaller and newer camera. For my next dives in Maui, HI, I'm going to use the GoPro. I figure I could always attach it to my future camera housing, for simultaneous still & video capture.

The D90 most certainly does video. Consult your user's manual.

You are .... wait for it .... exactly right!

It took me less than a minute to figure it how. Can't autofocus & zoom, however some really nice effects can be done with manual focusing.
Feel silly, however I bought the camera used for stills, never bothered to check for video, and since there isn't a "video" button, thought it didn't do it. A big thank you Rainer.

Questions. :idk: :confused:

Why buy the uber-expensive housing for a Nikon D90? When for the cost of a cheaper housing plus a new camera is cheaper?
Isn't having two cameras better than having just one?

I'm currently at that crossroad. I'm currently a landshark photographer, and my son is a DM. I can make extra money & fun taking pics of new divers getting their OW certs, etc.

Just noticed today how many UW photographers here on this board. * Happy *

I decided to spend the huge amount of cash on the housing, strobes, lens etc as I love to dive and I love to photograph/video all the amazing creatures on, in and around coral reefs.
I have used point and shoot cameras in little plastic housings and the quality, flexibility, and performance of an SLR just doesnt compare.
It IS a HUGE outlay of $$$ but will last for many many years. As for cheaper housings the only real option is Ikelite an I just couldnt bring myself to spend around $1500 for a plastic box.
The Nauticam housings are outstanding. The controls are perfect and the housing is compact and handles fantastically. Also at the moment it is almost completely neutrally buoyant without the addition of floats.
As for using a GoPro, I do that too, I clamp it onto one of my strobe arm balls on the housing. You will need to add a flat port to it or everything will be out of focus underwater. Also, unless you are right at the surface you will also need to add something like a Magic Filter to it or everything will look blue and you will have no color.

As for the Tokina 10-17mm, I picked it up last sat and played around with it on land for awhile. What a cool lens!! I can tell Im going to have lots of fun with it!!

Maldives in 3 weeks!!!!!

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom