How can I loosen up a stiff wetsuit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tammarak

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All,

A friend gave us a nice wetsuit, 7 mil farmer john with jacket, that he wasn't using anymore.

He hadn't used it in a few years and said that is used to be much more flexible, does anyone know of a way to get some of the stretch back into it?

Thanks!

If it's really stiff I'm pretty sure a light soak in warm water would get it loose enough to be comfortable for wear.

If it's still a bit stiff then really the only logical option is to get it wet and dive it. Bend it, roll it up when you're transporting it, pee in it, give it a good rinse and wring it out lightly. And when you're taking it off don't be afraid to manhandle it.

My suits have gotten a bit looser with use compared to when they were brand new. A little sunlight would also work, but it's really not good for the neoprene if you leave it exposed for a long time.

I use silicon spray a couple of times a year, after a wash in woollite and rinse, to keep a wetsuit limber. Follow the directions and it may take more than one treatment to bring it back.

Bob
-------------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Run it through the washer under light cycle with some woolite and then run it through the dryer on light fabric. Worked for me.

You said he hadn't used it in a few years. Keep in mind what a wetsuit is ... rubber with a bunch of gas bubbles in it. If it wasn't stored properly, the rubber may be breaking down ... in which case, all the tricks in the world won't restore it.

I'd say try some of the above and see what happens ... but accept that rubber does have a shelf-life, and that shelf-life is determined by how well the garment has been cared for ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dive, dive dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom