Archive for Dive Paradise Thread Post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Scuba

Supreme Benchwarmer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
ScubaBoard is presently running a post on its front page extolling the wondrousness of a Cozumel dive op that I recently took my group to. In a reply post I presented a few counter-points to the all-positive review in which I cast some aspects of the op in negative light. Though no impoliteness, profanity, or falsehoods were used in my posts they were deleted without a trace.

I just made a post addressing this on that thread and am posting a copy here. Thus no replies here are possible. This is simply an archive copy:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Macado,

There was indeed a candid, but polite, post that cast Dive Paradise Staff (but not Hotel Cozumel or the DP Boat Crews) in a negative light. I wrote it based on my experience of leading a 49-person group there in early August of this year.

Indeed, someone responded to my post and I posted a lenthy response to THAT... again polite, but very candid on what I experenced and the noteable shortcomings of the Dive Paradise Staff whilst I was there.

I even had ScubaBoard Staff member, Natasha, call me up on the phone and try to talk me out of my statements. She purported to be personal friends of the DP owner as well as a ScubaBoard staff member. My original posts (and the replies to it) have been removed from this thread. VERY disappointing. I definitely understand censoring 1)Profanity 2)Patently false claims 3)Hostile or violent content. But deleting opinions that don't match your own?

All I can say is that I'm floored that SB would allow this to happen. Perhaps I shouldn't be. I'm not sure SB states anywhere on their site they must give equal time to opinions that run counter to those of their individual staff... but I always thought that was how they rolled.

Yes, I realize that Scuba Board took its own group to Dive Paradise just before my group arrived. Yes, I'm sure DP and Hotel Coz gave them a good package deal (probably the same or similar to my own), but what is now seemingly apparent is that SB made some kind of deal with them to shill for Dive Paradise on the Scuba Board front page... and delete any post that countered their glowing ADVERTISEMENT for Dive Paradise.

If there's another explanation I'd be happy to listen. I'm a reasonable person. I do dislike abuses of power though...

Bill Powers
Power Scuba

Natasha wrote: Sadly, you miss understood my call. I never asked you to remove your statements, only hoped you would. Also, I did NOT present myself as a SB staff member! I just told you what I thought you didn't know happened in Aug. Nothing more. Please be honest about this.

I think my original (now deleted) posts as well as this latest post have been extremely honest. You identified yourself to me on the phone as a personal friend of the Dive Paradise owner. Your profile identifier states you are a SB Staff member. Thus, you are 1)A SB Staff member and 2)A close personal friend of the Dive Paradise owner.

If you don't see a conflict of interest in regards to your (or another staff member at your behest) deletion of my comments which ran counter to what you personally think of the dive op then I don't know what else to say. Pretty darned back and white, shameful, and a stain on SB's reputation, if someone were to ask me my opinion.

Bill Powers
Power Scuba

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom