Incredible Day At The Rust Heap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
If you had told me a few years ago that I would be diving the Redondo Barge and the Landing Craft frequently I would have bet against it. I found these sites to be boring and devoid of any interesting marine life...Then I got a camera.
We went back to the landing craft this afternoon to try for better images of the octopus eggs Merry found on Labor Day. The two octopus were gone. I presume they died and were eaten since their offspring appear ready to hatch soon. After giving the embryos epilepsy with all the strobe flashes I looked around the wreck for any other subjects. I found the juvenile giant seabass in the same hole it was in two weeks ago. As I settled down to set up my shot he got camera shy and bolted. He brushed against my camera, but not before I fired off a premature shot.
I heard some strange sounds coming from Merry and looked to see that a cormorant had rubbed against her leg while in search of some fresh seafood. I couldn't get a shot with my 60mm lens, but he remained on the wreck for more than a minute. I wish I could free dive that well.
For Merry's latest trick, she surprised me again with another new find. She pointed out a small file clam swimming along the rusty deck. I did my Chris Grossman impression and took a ton of shots of it. I was surprised at how much they bounce around.
We've made two new discoveries on consecutive dives at the Landing Craft. Add those to the four GSBs we've seen and it's becoming a decent site to dive on. Don't tell anyone I said that.

Photos at
Incredible Day At The Rust Heap

I can't believe that the baby black sea bass already got the parasites on its head.

Also, great shots of the clam. It is going to be on my list of things to find now.

An incredible day indeed! All the egg shots are great, but #3 and 4 are my favorites. Excellent detail, very glossy and crisp. Perfect!
Really dig the closeup of Gorgonian with polyps extended as well. Did everyone spot the critter roaming in its micro forest?
What kind of sponge is just left of the Clown Dorid?
Awesome file clam find. It seems this may be a good year for them, from all the sightings reported on the diver.net forums.

I thought you were talking about your steel tanks, Phil!

So there were TWO octopuses with the eggs? Interesting. I thought each female guarded a separate "nest." And both dead before the eggs actually hached? Also interesting, although certainly not outside the realm of possibility given predators.

Just looked at the pictures. Fantastic. Love those little embryos. Would you be willing to let me use a few of those photos (with credit of course) in a future Dive Dry with Dr. Bill column?

Feel free to abuse them as you wish. The two nests are only about eight inches apart, and when we found them, the octopus were next to each other. I assumed they were dead when we returned because they were gone. I don't think they would abandon their nests, and the eggs look like they are going to hatch any minute. We're going to the U/W film expo in La Jolla this weekend, so I hope the little fellers can wait until Monday.

Feel free to abuse them as you wish. The two nests are only about eight inches apart, and when we found them, the octopus were next to each other. I assumed they were dead when we returned because they were gone. I don't think they would abandon their nests, and the eggs look like they are going to hatch any minute. We're going to the U/W film expo in La Jolla this weekend, so I hope the little fellers can wait until Monday.

Thanks, Phil. I wonder why I've never seen an octopus nest. Maybe I need a change in my prescription?

Then maybe I need to dive with you and Merry since your luck seems to be on the rise!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom