Used equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scSCUBA

Reaction score
Is there a 'ruile of thumb' for what is a 'fair price' for used equipment?

I know when I'm looking for used tools for woodworking, I will reasonably expect to pay around 50% of retail for tools in good shape. Is there a similar type percentage for BC's, regs, and computers?

i dont know of a fair percentage. imho, the market tends to set the price on used gear. the larger the mkt the more fair the price. it used to be easy to find great deals at swaps and yard sales but with ebay things tend to find a realitic level. this is probably an overall good because the more people aware of a sale the more fair the price. so i suggest if your not sure what something cost, do what all the pawn shops now do when pricing items. find a like or similiar item on ebay. by the way, im aware that my post is more of an opinion on what to do and i didnt actually answer your question. sorry but im bored at work.

scSCUBA once bubbled...
Is there a 'ruile of thumb' for what is a 'fair price' for used equipment?

I know when I'm looking for used tools for woodworking, I will reasonably expect to pay around 50% of retail for tools in good shape. Is there a similar type percentage for BC's, regs, and computers?

Not really. If you buy second hand and provided it's in good shape then I personally think a fair price is about 2/3 of the price you see on a web-store (grey market price) *minus* the costs of any initial service it might need. If the warranty isn't transferable then the price goes down by 10% and if it's damaged I just say no thanks and walk away regardless of the price.

R..

I would think that it would be hard to come up with any sort of rule of thumb as condition and use of used equipment can vary quite a bit. Caveat Emptor! Just make sure you have everything checked out by a qualified technician before you buy/use it.

with wlo93....have it checked out unless
you plan to service/fix it yourself since
the warranties will be voided

for the info.

I definately would get the equipment serviced before buying it. I just figured getting used equipment might be more cost effective way of getting started, and upgrade later.

I figure a new diver can be diving with good, safe, albeit older gear for under $500.00. Then upgrade when the $$ and urge come together without sacrificing diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom