hi there, i have a question about air transmitter.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MeanGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hello people, well, its my 1st time owning a computer with air transmitter "mares icon hd net ready"
even though i managed to mount the transmitter on the 1st stage, but i ready that a lot of people might mistake it and carry the air tank , and might even break and stuff.

so i searched for The high-pressure hose extension , i found some for suunto and oceanic

Miflex High Pressure Hose discounts on sale XS Scuba

mind telling me what i should ask the seller for? if not, what should i search for on the net?
would anything work on the mares hd transmitter?

there's a big possibility that i wont find it in the local store. so i might order it online.

thanks , i appreciate the help.

Hi,

Any high pressure hose will do (The same as for an SPG) but usually only 6" long - All LDS should carry HP hoses, but not many will have a 6" version.

But saying that, I've had an AI transmitter mounted directly on my First Stage for over 4 years, diving nearly every day and its not been damaged or broken; How many people will be carrying your tank whilst the first stage is attached.

Secondly, one of the reasons I like AI, is that there are less mechanical parts to go wrong, but with an extension hose you are adding more o-rings and the hose itself - all possible fail points

Paul

First, if someone carries your tank after you've already connected the 1st stage, something's wrong. I wouldn't want anyone moving my tank at that point. Once my 1st stage is on it, it's ready to dive because that means the bp/w (backplate/wing) are already on it, too. So no need for another hose. The whole point of going with a transmitter type computer is to eliminate a hose!! So save yourself the $$ and just run with it.

Also, be aware there's a lot of complaints about miflex HP hoses exploding. For every complaint there's others that have had no problems, including me. However, seems to be more than those using standard rubber HP hoses. Definitely get an HP hose and an SPG if going hoseless, though. If your battery fails in either transmitter or watch, you'll still want to know how much air you have on the way up and during your stops.

HP and LP Miflex hoses have a bad rep for severing near the first stage, more so HP Miflex hoses. It seems when the Miflex is bent which is often the case near the first stage, the initial surge of air from turning on the tank can cause enough stress to split the hose.

Most LDS shops will stock standard length 32-36in rubber HP hoses. For hoses that don't require a lot of weaving manipulation such as the HP computer/SPG hose, you don't need Miflex. Standard Rubber hoses are cheaper and if maintained right will last for your lifetime.

I'm a little confused as to what you expect to use the HP hose for. If you expect to connect it to your Mares Icon HD, I don't think you'd be able to. On the other hand if you expect to get an Analog SPG then any HP hose will have the right coupling to work.

I think it's because some have reportedly used an HP hose to move the transmitter into a position for better reception. To me, silly but to each their own.

Thanks for the replies, well. I used to go on trips, and sometimes we had to jump from zodiac boats . While getting out of the water, we had someone that would carry out tank and put them in the boat. I maybe over worrying , usually no one touches it and I never let anyone mess with them unless someone is filling them with air on a boat. But after searching for a while. And done some reading. Ill leave it on the first stage. I might have to paint red lines on it and as the helper never to carry it from the a.t.

Thank you guys for your replies

just tell your dive buddies what it is and not to man handle a $400 piece of electronics

HP and LP Miflex hoses have a bad rep for severing near the first stage, more so HP Miflex hoses. It seems when the Miflex is bent which is often the case near the first stage, the initial surge of air from turning on the tank can cause enough stress to split the hose.

Most LDS shops will stock standard length 32-36in rubber HP hoses. For hoses that don't require a lot of weaving manipulation such as the HP computer/SPG hose, you don't need Miflex. Standard Rubber hoses are cheaper and if maintained right will last for your lifetime.

I'm a little confused as to what you expect to use the HP hose for. If you expect to connect it to your Mares Icon HD, I don't think you'd be able to. On the other hand if you expect to get an Analog SPG then any HP hose will have the right coupling to work.

I know they have had numerous problems with the HP but have not heard any LP issues. I switched out my HP to a phantom due to so many HP failure reports.

I know they have had numerous problems with the HP but have not heard any LP issues. I switched out my HP to a phantom due to so many HP failure reports.

I thought so too, but a quick search on google changed my opinions.
There have been some failures but not so numerous as the HP Miflex hoses.
Google search: "Miflex LP failures"

Back
Top Bottom