Davis reef Islamorada 9-9-11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The tourist season is officially over. We were on the reef for over 5 hours and not one other boat, good for us but bad for the tourism industry.

1foot chop and only about 30 feet viz green water

The highlights were the monster green moray

Jawfish, plenty of hermit crabs,conchs and snapper schools of all types.

Couple of groupers Nassau and black

Mantis shrimp and plenty of peppermint shrimp

The Mrs and I took pix, she took wide angle and I macro. Will try and post some later if any came out

I did a night dive there in March 2 years ago that was an aaaasome dive . We had a full moon that night it lit up the surface like a huge spot light . you used your light to see in to the cracks and crevices

P9093463_1421_edited-1.jpg

P9080499_1525_edited-1.jpg

P9080492_1518_edited-1.jpg

P9080450_1476_edited-1.jpg

P9080441_1467_edited-1.jpg

The 'high' season starts in early December in the Upper Keys. I figure the reason that you don't see a lot of tourists right now is because they are thinking about the hurricanes and the economy is in the tank. Though there is one very good dive shop on the island most of the people going there are fishermen. There is only the Eagle when it comes to ships to dive unless you sign up for a day trip up to the Speigle, Duane, etc. I was diving off Islamorada a month ago and couldn't believe the businesses which have closed up and the drop in advertised prices for real estate, though still too high for my bank account. Over the last six years I have dove on just about every reef near Islamorada and unless the Gulf Stream shifts it's usually very good diving with lots to see.

The 'high' season starts in early December in the Upper Keys. I figure the reason that you don't see a lot of tourists right now is because they are thinking about the hurricanes and the economy is in the tank. Though there is one very good dive shop on the island most of the people going there are fishermen. There is only the Eagle when it comes to ships to dive unless you sign up for a day trip up to the Speigle, Duane, etc. I was diving off Islamorada a month ago and couldn't believe the businesses which have closed up and the drop in advertised prices for real estate, though still too high for my bank account. Over the last six years I have dove on just about every reef near Islamorada and unless the Gulf Stream shifts it's usually very good diving with lots to see.

Funny here in the Keys the diving season is the summer until labor day. The snowbirds and tourisst start coming down right after Thnxgiving unless it gets cold quicker up there.

There are some great deals to be had on real estate, thats for sure!

Great pix, thanks for posting!
We were diving with Conch Republic in mid-June and the water was blue with 60 ft plus viz. Is 30 ft/green typical for late summer/fall?
See many jellyfish?
Thanks!

Great pix, thanks for posting!
We were diving with Conch Republic in mid-June and the water was blue with 60 ft plus viz. Is 30 ft/green typical for late summer/fall?
See many jellyfish?
Thanks!

The viz is usually very good during the summer with 60 about average(blue water not green) and many days I have had +100 on the outer reefs.

Yes to the jellyfish. We started our dive at Davis with none. After having lunch on the boat they were a steady parade!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom