Dive Charactersitics of oxycheq extreme vs sig series 40#

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoopa

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at wings and im digging the oxy wings.. Im between the sig series and the extreme and was just wondering if any of you guys have tried both and noticed a difference with either.. I know some think the extreme isnt work the extra $ ---- but i tend to be a set it and forget it type of guy.. I dont mind the extra $-- i just want to get what works best... I would think the extreme might dive a bit better cause the stiffer carcass woudlnt flap around as much(of course that is just a logical guess vs knowing--- that is why im asking you guys).. :D

I have the extreme 40#, I haven't tried the signature series. I've really enjoyed the wing -- it's very rugged. Great if you dive in varying conditions, muck, rocks, wrecks, etc, or just abuse the heck out of your gear. IMO worth the extra bucks.

....go EXTREME ! I've got 4 of 'em...including 2 of the 40# Extreme 'singles' wings......awesome!

The Signature Wing and Extreme wing are the exact same wing/profile except the Extreme is made with an armored fabric. They should dive the same. Your way overthinking this.

I have the Signature wing...A dive Buddy that owns a shop has the Extreme. Visually, you hardly notice the difference. In his opinion and mine...it is overkill unless maybe you were doing wreck penetration, or something. Even then it wouldnt be the ideal wing for that.

I've had my wing...the signature for about 3 years now. Its pretty sturdy...abrasion resistant. Not floppy looking at all, even today, the shape is as good as it was new; A good quality product. My advice....give some thought about what you NEED from a wing.....do you need armored fabric with the diving you are doing? I know lots of divers that do wreck penetration and cave diving and they aren't even using wings with Armored fabric. Just seems like you get the same function, same wing...for less money rather than spending money in a feature that is of no real cost benefit to you...well, me at least. Only you can answer that.

I can see the Extreme Wings being very advantageous for Public Safety Divers or Emergency Response teams...which I feel these wings specifically target.

I hear what your saying banjo and 98% of my mind agrees with you.. Its that last darn 2% that says-- "well a stronger wing -- that can resist punctures and pinches and abrasion--- cant be a bad thing-- can it?".. Plus-- After all the F#$%$##%$#$#%^ing money i have spent( yes im a gear whor)-- lol whats another 90 bucks..

Idk... I go back and forth.. I know its just a wing-- but its fun to figure out what is the best in class (imho) and then go for it and know you dont have to think or worry about it anymore(at least until you get the gotta get some new gear twitch) lol..

I have an OxyCheq Extreme single and double wing. My commercial diving background biases me to favor rugged. As far as bladder envelope stiffness, I notice little difference between the Extreme and an original AdPack wing that was little more than elastic lingerie cover… OK lingerie for a 90 year old spinster maybe, but nothing like a normal wing today.

There will be an inflated bubble at the top and the rest is sucked down like a vacuum. The forces of buoyancy prevent flopping around. It is a mistake to compare the flexibility characteristics you observe on deck and underwater.

I hear what your saying banjo and 98% of my mind agrees with you.. Its that last darn 2% that says-- "well a stronger wing -- that can resist punctures and pinches and abrasion--- cant be a bad thing-- can it?".. Plus-- After all the F#$%$##%$#$#%^ing money i have spent( yes im a gear whor)-- lol whats another 90 bucks..

Idk... I go back and forth.. I know its just a wing-- but its fun to figure out what is the best in class (imho) and then go for it and know you dont have to think or worry about it anymore(at least until you get the gotta get some new gear twitch) lol..

It may prevent punctures, but I doubt it will prevent pinch flats, & looking at the way the lamellar is imbedded in the matrix, I doubt it would resist abrasion.

It may prevent punctures, but I doubt it will prevent pinch flats, & looking at the way the lamellar is imbedded in the matrix, I doubt it would resist abrasion.

Agreed. However, pinch flats are not nearly so likely to occur during a dive as cuts and punctures. Therefore pinch failures would be caught on the pre-dive check, which are most frequently caused during transport. Of course, the flex hose and connection to the bladder is as delicate as any other wing.

As far as abrasion, I disagree. In my experience, this video is not an exaggeration.

If the material isn’t abraded by a new utility knife blade, an abrasive surface like sand paper would be less damaging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom