So about that gear you find....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I live in South Fl and there are multiple locations where divers congregate for shore diving. For example today I was at one of these locations and there were plenty of divers in and out of the water. I'm wondering what peoples opinions are on someone just snorkeling around/ diving around the shallow(ish) areas, looking for lost gear.
As a broke college student, this seems pretty feasible to me.
Its kind of like how some people have metal detectors on the beach

Opinions?

It seems most people around here make a concentrated effort to find the owner. Probably not if it were something like a mask, fin, or snorkel, but cameras and other expensive gear seems to make their way back to their owners. Nothing wrong with asking for a reward, since you're a po' college student.

If it's an expensive piece of equipment or has identification/contact info, I would try to find the buyer. You won't know if that piece of gear was lost due to stupidity or not. I'd feel badly if it was the latter.
If it's unmarked and not one of those big time buys, then it's fair game I say.

Try to have a little decency while you're sputtering about, don't be a vulture. :wink:

If it has a tag, ID, and you can identify the owner then almost all divers would try to get it back to the owner. Especially an expensive piece of equipment like camera gear.

Nothing wrong with asking for a reward, this is a capitalistic society.

If it is unmarked and has no name then finders keepers losers weepers.

I do this alot in the training areas in here in Colorado, and when we find a piece of gear we put up note generically describing what we found , like "fin" "camera" "knife" etc. The claimant has to describe it accurately, or we do not release it. If we find lead weights e do not post them. We find lots of snorkels, a few knives, and a watch now and then. I once found a Sea and Sea wide angle lens. Unclaimed items either become mine or are sold in the annual used gear sale at the shop.
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

Reactions: Jax
I would agree. If your name is on gear you very well may have it returned to you. I lost my GoPro HD with the Snake River blurfix and someone found it on the reef and gave it back to me!

Reactions: Jax
Just a side note... I always take a couple of shots of my ID tag (which is on my gear bag) with any camera I use. That way anyone who finds it and looks at the pictures will be able to use the info to contact me should I "misplace" the gear.

I agree, a lost weight pouch, knife or small accessory probably counts as a lucky find.

If it's of value, camera, fin, script mask and so forth it's worth getting the word out in a generic fashion. You can decide if you want to count on a generous owner or to specify a reward.

Do unto others......

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom