Back Roll and a Flip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBASailor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just a silly question. I've got 25 dives logged in total, a number of them have required back rolls off the boat (in very deep water). After rolling off the boat, when I hit the water, I have found it natural to continue the backward rotation and complete a 360 to get vertical again.

Is that odd? Ive never asked anyone to observe me, but I'm wondering if I might be hitting the water head-first instead of on my back.

Do you do it my way or do you stop rotation when you hit the water, then rotate forward 90 degrees to get vertical? Does it matter?

When you roll off the boat, your momentum will tend to make you continue to roll even after hitting the water. It is natural to really pull your legs up high as you go over to avoid getting caught or hitting the boat. This helps to continue the roll also.

It will all depend on the height of your fall. I know that on the boat that I have rolled off of, I have flipped completely over on all of them. I think it is just the normal thing.

I have done both. Mostly the forward 90 move, but surface conditions, height above water, and timing of the boat pitching sometimes make the rotation faster or more complete. They key is get in the water away from the boat and don't kick anyone. If you are accomplishing these goals, the rest is optional.
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

You don't get points for style. Do whatever you need to, to get back in balance after the back roll.

You don't get points for style. Do whatever you need to, to get back in balance after the back roll.

On the other hand, if you do not check to make sure everything is clear, and end up hanging from the boat by your loose gear, or land yourself on top on another diver, threw careless behavior, you do get demerits :no:

The first might end up with pics of your predicament posted on web sites the world over, while the second can result in more serious injury to more than your image.

On a similar subject, I was on a boat recently when they asked us to do a forward roll from the zodiac. Basically, we kneeled on the tubes and roll forward to hit the water with the bottle and continue the roll to come out head first. I liked it a lot, seemed easier to me especially with my dry suit. I was wondering if anyone else did that and your thoughts on it.

During our Rescue class we did back roll offs from the moving Inflatable, one team at a time, first team with no buoyancy, and second team immediately on their heels with full buoyancy.

Results in one submerged team and a second team just above and to the front of the first team. A 4 "man" search pattern results, and was a heck of a lot of fun to do!

It took some practice, with teamwork and timing to get it right, but it was dam sure a lot fun learning to do these entries!! Boat is not moving at a high speed during such entries, obviously!

We don't have a lot of room for the backroll on the boat I dive from. As a result, I curl up tightly, making sure that my hoses, elbows and legs are tucked in. Then there's a three foot drop into the water. I guess all this results in a lot of circular momentum by the time I hit the water.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

On the other hand, if you do not check to make sure everything is clear, and end up hanging from the boat by your loose gear, or land yourself on top on another diver, threw careless behavior, you do get demerits :no: .

First hand knowledge??? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom