30 Mile Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VooDooGasMan

Contributor
Reaction score
This is on the 17th of this monthThe Undersea Voyager Project - The Undersea Voyager Project.

24 hours underwater, I have spent time under, but wow. studying the sea life is fun, I studied salmon for almost a month now, and awhile back played with the blue sharks on the coast while spearing tuna. I found them intense at first, I give them a few tuna and then able to take mine with no fear of them.

A few days ago I dove with around 75 porpoises in the rip at Bush Point, wanted to see what the excitement was when the salmon come around the point.

Hope Scott has a successful dive.

Good to see Scott made it. I'm surprised that a "30 mile" dive (or is it closer to 22 by my reckoning) could be accomplished in 12 hours. When we used to kayak that route, it took us 6 1/2.

I caught the part on the video where he said he was ready to black out, ended up surfacing, got some food, and jumped back in.

Doesn't that sort of spoil the continuity of a single dive?

Doc on the link I provided it states cause of current it will be closer to 30 miles, I am thinking tide change will pull him north or south then he is of course a bit.

If he did come up for nutrition, and went down with minimal surface time, I would give it a one dive. Long ago when we only had 72's doubled diving deep wrecks in the great lakes, we would have to go up and change out tanks, less then 5 mins on surface and back down again, and called it one dive cause we only did our deco at the end of the second gas supply.

Anyhow that is awesome not just time but the dive itself, no matter what depth. My favorite diving in my life right now is hanging on to my inflatable and flying in current, to cover miles on one dive you see so much sea life and small wrecks that only the shaft, motor, prop, and a few pieces of metal.
Scott had a great time no doubt.

Anyhow that is awesome not just time but the dive itself, no matter what depth. My favorite diving in my life right now is hanging on to my inflatable and flying in current, to cover miles on one dive you see so much sea life and small wrecks that only the shaft, motor, prop, and a few pieces of metal.
Scott had a great time no doubt.
I dunno. Open ocean is open ocean. Pelagics have a lot of space in which to roam. It's one thing at the oil rigs or another chumming mid-channel on a shark dive, but otherwise he's just a tiny speck flying over a vast chasm of deep water. He mentioned he saw a few things, some molas etc., but that's over a 12-hour period. I'm pretty sure 99% of his dive was just staring out at the blue. Forget about getting hungry, for me, the hardest part would have been keeping from falling asleep.

True on the currents, etc,

I give him credit for a single dive since he simply surfaced for food. I occasionally surface to get my bearings (especially on a night dive) and count that as a single dive.

As he has said, if Scott did this same dive 40 years ago, I'm sure he would have run into plenty of sharks. Blues were quite abundant in our waters back then. Now they are a rarity.

I give him credit for a single dive since he simply surfaced for food. I occasionally surface to get my bearings (especially on a night dive) and count that as a single dive.
If he just popped his head up, maybe I could credit that. But I watched the video. He definitely says "they took care of me... I jumped back in" which makes it sound like he got on one of the chase boats for a little while. Maybe it was just his phrasing and he really meant "re-descended" instead of "jumped back in", but if he truly got out of the water mid-dive to get on a boat and eat, that makes it two dives in my book. Not that two 15 miles dives isn't impressive, but it doesn't add up to one 30-mile dive if he got out of the water in the middle of it.

Scott McGee took some shots of him taking a break aboard one of the boats while they repaired his sled.
30-Mile Dive Underwater - Underwater, nature photography | Under Pressure Photography -- Scott F McGee

He didn't have to swim underwater, as he was towed all the way, but I'm impressed with the effort. I haven't seen anyone make it across the channel like that since the scooter race on Sea Hunt. :)
Towed? I didn't catch that part. That he managed to swim 30 miles was what impressed me even after I found out it wasn't really a single dive. Now I'm so unimpressed you can call me depressed.

If some sponsor will buy me a new dry suit and rebreather and provide all the boat support and mid-dive munchies, I'll attempt the same "dive". Maybe we can make it 31 miles and set a new "record" for longest non-continuous non-single-dive while being towed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom