Sidemount Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marshvet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Yes, I know, there is no such thing. Just bear with me. As a new diver, I was very excited to get my first computer last season: A Pro Plus 2.1 Console so my old eyes could see the numbers. Well, this season I decided to buy my first BC - The Hollis SMS 100 to dive sidemount. Obviously, WRONG COMPUTER! So, I am looking for suggestions on a wrist computer with BIG numbers. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, in the same vein, is there any reason to be concerned with an air integrated one since I have gauges on each tank?
Thanks in advance.

Marshall

The newer computers with the OLED displays are more expensive, but very easy to read. Some of them have an option for larger fonts underwater. You're right, air integration doesn't make sense for sidemount, so you can use the savings for a computer with a nicer display!

Shearwater or Cochran would be my choice. I personally prefer the Cochran because of its logging and size. Both will do TX/helium and such but if you plan on getting into CCR the Shearwater can monitor PO2 and the Cochran can have 2 PO2 setpoints. You can't go wrong with either IMO.

If you arn't looking for anything that fancy the hollis computers or oceanic are pretty good and have a decent size display. BTW it's the same computer so you can get either one.

Thanks for all the feedback. The Cochran & Shearwater look great but a little out of my $ range. I am looking at the Oceanic VT4 without the transmitter. I am going to check out the display next week and see how it looks.

Marshall

The new XEO Trimix Computer is pretty amazing. You can set whatever colors you want on pretty much every setting imaginable. I dive one as a back up to my X1. If you ever get into Tec, you won't need to buy yet another computer. Transmitters aren't really a sidemount thing. There is debate on when to switch from tank to tank 300, 500, 1000 PSI etc. Either way, a transmitter isn't going to help with that as it's manual. If you want one for your Rec rig and are in love with the VT4, by all means. Happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom