V-weights on an AL backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Queequeg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do you noptice any significant difference when using V-weights with an AL bp....vs an SS plate. I read one concern was when tilting on you side the v-weights tend to pull you over on your back.

I dive single HP 100's or 120's but am venturing into doubles. The AL plates seem convenient for travel as well...which I do tropical vacations twice a year.

I have an Oxycheq rig with SS plate now. However I will be selling it to get into gear my LDS sells as I will becoming onboard as one of their DM's. I have been thinking going the AL bp route..however the SS I have trims out quite well.

The oxycheq weighted STA are cool too albeit a bit expensive really.

I'm also thinking I can weight an AL plate down heavier than 6 lbs when I include the weight of the plate + the V-weight.

Thoughts?

If it was me-- id go ss plate... This way you can use that plate for your tropic dives(youll need some weight-- better on your back then waste).. As for the extra weight and travel.. Were talking 4 lbs.. I carry my bc with me on the plane along with regs-- 4 lbs isnt that big of a deal.. You can also look at p weights vs v weights.. The p weight goes in the channel of your bp-- and holds the weight closer to your back--- causing less tommy tip-over..

Most tec divers must have both an AL and SS plate for different combinations of cylinders and exposure suits...

Last edited:
If you are selling your Oxycheq wing, I may be interested.

I have an AL plate and I use a 3lb STA - which makes it nearly the same as SS plate w/o STA. For cold water diving I use 6 lbs of weight in pockets on the top tank strap (tucked as close to the plate as possible) and I do not roll over on my back (unless I want to :) )

Not really

Back
Top Bottom