When should a shop request your C-Card?

What type of purchase should a Diver be Carded for?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ello boys and girls, quick survey here.
Before reading the meat of my post, please vote on the poll

Poll question:
During what type of purchase should a Dive Shop request your C card? (Assuming you're a new face to the shop)

Vote now before you read below!

-----------
So we all know that a diver should be certified in order to dive. The training and skills taught during the certification allows the diver to mitigate the risks of this inherently dangerous sport.

So after my certification in NY, and enduring the squeeze of a 7ml wetsuit and hood, I had done it. I had passed my OW certification class. Amid my Certification class, I purchased a Mares BC/Reg/Octo package online. On the website, I checked the little box that says, "I am certified" At the conclusion of the open water class, my picture was taken, and I looked like a goofball. At 20 years old, I was certified to dive. I got my certification card so instead of just talking the talk, I could walk the walk....Er at least prove I had some formal training. About a month later, and 2 OW dives later (total dives, now 7), I drove the 22ish hours from NY to South Florida. Upon arrival in So. Fl. I meandered on in to a local shop, and purchased an Aluminum 80 [you could find my threads debating buying one or two tanks]and Fill card. After trying to haggle the man behind the counter (didnt work- I'm not happy about that), he rang me up, and I cough up the $260ish dollars. He slapped a sticker or two on that bad boy and I walk out, 35lbs heavier, and $260 lighter.
I believe there is something wrong with this situation. Have you noticed?

I walked into a LDS, bought a tank, and a fill card, paid and left. What is missing from this situation? Proof of certification! After my 400 dollars and 3 Classroom sessions, 4 Pool dives, and 5 OW checkout dives. I didnt even get the satisfaction of having my cert card requested!
I am from NY, so this dive shop was not familiar with me at all, and as a young guy (20 remember?) how could you be so sure I was certified and not going to do something stupid with this high pressure cylinder I wanted to purchase? Was it because I talked the talk? Did I walk the talk? or Talk the walk?
Anyways, I did enter the store and specifically asked about Catalina Aluminum 80's, and may have used a little jargon I learned on this site, but nonetheless, I was not ID'd! (C card wise)
I have also been to other stores, where I have purchased other non life support dive equipment such as: Lionfish tamer, and dive shears. Out of three stores, I have not been ID'd to buy this equipment. I think it was a snowball effect. I got the tank and the dive card, didnt get ID'd (breach of standards here). Upon going to the sister store for fills, and telling them I have a fill card with their sister store, they assume I've already been proofed. While getting my tank filled at this location, I purchase the lionfish tamer. At the store with the dive shears, they knew I have a fill card with their rival store, so I must've been previously carded right?

I see no issue with your first paragraph unless the tank sold included air. Proof of certification is not required to purchase scuba equipment. It is however required (generally?) for tank fills, of course if they know you and have perviously sighted your card I wouldn't expect them to ask you every-time. Chartered trips, live-aboards etc will also, good ones anyway, ask for your cert card and number of logged dives.

Note: This is true of every place I have ever been to, the Pacific, Europe, SEA and Japan. I have not however been to the US but have purchased equipment many times without issue.

Last edited:
They had never seen my C card and I bought a fill card from them

The really odd thing is that you bought a fill card--I assume the tank you bought was full (?). While there are no laws that I know of regarding any of this, the general rule seems to be you can buy anything in a shop without a card, except fills. I guess a non-diver could be buying a tank or reg. for a gift for a diver, though unlikely. I really can't remember, but I believe I bought some of my stuff--tank, reg, BCD or at least one of these from my LDS before certified (during the course), though they obviously knew me.

When I hear about people using tanks for paintball fills, I think it is a safe bet they aren't showing C-cards to get fills, which leads me to conclude that a shop CAN sell fills to whoever they want. Are there any laws about this, or is it just a convention to limit liability?

Only for diving.

Reactions: Jax
I say just with air fills, tanks they can bump up to 500 psi or so you cant use them. My reasoning is so you can have a non certed person (spouse or really good friend) can buy you stuff and not worry. Gift certificates are kinda lame and if you open a reg or something from your GF or wife on your Birthday or christmas it would be great.

I don't think shops should ask for C-cards at all. We're talking about adults here and if an uncertified adult wants to buy dive gear, it's not my business to stop them.

I rarely ever get asked for my card and am not bothered if I am or I am not.

Is there actually rules around this where you are from? Super lame...

personally I could care less if anybody ever asked for my card or not. I have one, not worried about it and not my problem. It's a liability issue for the shop selling the air fills. (or whatever) just like a store selling beer & stuff and carding people, or not carding people. Some shops are real strict about checking cards, some aren't. If it was my shop I would check everybody

Back
Top Bottom