Confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

falcon125

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
WifeyPoo and I are going to Cozumel again this year. We are vacation divers. OW certified. She has been certified 10 years (15 dives total before we met) and I 1 year.
Last year we did 14 dives in Coz during our 7 day stay. I have done 1 shallow prarrie pond dive this year.

I want to do 1 day or (2 dives) this vacation where we work on skills. I am thinking, shareing air, shooting a SMB.
We plan on hiring a private DM for this day and just doing the group dives for the rest of the trip.
What other skills should we work on?
Should we incorporate this into a certification? (do on line classes beforehand?)

We have done, Drift diving, Night Diving, and we live in Denver so Altitude diving was our training.
I would like to do Rescue diver but Advanced Open Water is a prerequisite.

Any Ideas?

I'd recommend AOW, but you said you only want to do 1 day, it would take at a minimum of 2, probably 3, since you have to do 5 required dives.

I suppose if we did 3 days of AOW cert dives we could do them in different locations.
Which AOW dives would be best for Coz?

If you want a challenge try buddy breathing while ascending and then hold a mock safety stop.

You could also do
- mask clears (be neutral and don't touch bottom)
- weightbelt rolls (w/o touching the bottom, both on surface and underwater)
- Integrated Weight Pockets Remove and Replace (same criteria as above)
- Fin D&R (Ditch and Recoveries)
- BC D&R's.

Make sure you don't harm or disturb the wildlife or living bottom when you're practicing.
Be safe and have fun.

Are there any lakes near you? Do you really want to spend a day or 2 in coz training or would you rather spend those days sight seeing. You could spend a little money and locally do your AOW / practice and be free to enjoy the reefs of coz.

Hardest skill for me was taking the unit off & putting it back on. Lots to practise there. Another good one is reg. retrieval (since it's your lifeline), rare as it may be that it would be knocked out of your mouth. Rescue took me 5 days--it's quite extensive, but I believe you only need Adventure Diver now (and EFR) as a prerequisite--correct me if I'm wrong.

I suppose if we did 3 days of AOW cert dives we could do them in different locations.
Which AOW dives would be best for Coz?

You would have to do navigation and deep dive as a requirement of AOW, then you have 15 others to choose from. Peak Performance Bouyancy is a no-brainer, it should be required. I'd recommend it would be one of the 5 no matter what, you won't be able to likely do under water scooter there so that leaves what? 13?

The ones I'd think about are 2 from the choices of - boat diver, drift diver, night diver.

I don't know what you mean about doing them in different locations. AOW is a course, you have to take the course and complete all 5 dives with the instructor to get the certification.

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan for your vacation. Remember, you an always work on your buoyancy and trim at the end of all your dives to improve. Some skills are tough to work on during drift dives, but I'm sure you'll find some quiet water for your practice session.

Regulator recovery with the loss after exhale. In other words on empty lungs like it may be.

If you find a NAUI shop you can go straight to Rescue.

If drift, night and altitude are credentialed then Deep & Navigation could buy you AOW.

Getting in and out of your rigs would be good to revisit. Do it solo and with mutual assistance.

Kudos for planing this DIY refresher.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom