Any tips for lobster hunting??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UmiDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

I am going to try my first lobster hunt in Nov. I had done lots of nite dives in warm water, but never in S. cali (I am new here:) )

Is there any expert with catching lobsters, here?? If you can share some technique, that would be great

There is an expert technique for every lobster hunter that you ask, ranging from making friends with sea urchins to thinking like a lobster. My (not so expert technique) is to approach crevices by diving over a rock, then down to the crevice rather than approaching the crevice from a straight shot. Also, don't be afraid to stick your hands into a crevice, but check it out first with your dive light. Last year, on a night dive, I met Mr. Leopard Shark while attempting to grab a bug in a crevice. He just smiled, but the bug lived to be hunted another day. I've "seen" some success when divers work in pairs. It looks like a bug rodeo as the lobsters are coralled from one side of a crevice or small cave to another.
If all else fails, try Vons---or some non-striking grocery store.

JustAddWater once bubbled...
If all else fails, try Vons---or some non-striking grocery store.

nice.

K

UmiDiver once bubbled...
Hi all

I am going to try my first lobster hunt in Nov. I had done lots of nite dives in warm water, but never in S. cali (I am new here:) )

Is there any expert with catching lobsters, here?? If you can share some technique, that would be great

Tickle stick and a bag....Justaddwater is right. Don't be afraid to stick your hand in the crevice but check it out first. Small sharks, big eels and big crabs have been known to hang out in crevices too.

I loved the lobster rodeo comment..

You can also find all kinds of useful info. a www.spearboard.com

Hi all

Thanks for the tip. I guess first I will try Vons... (oops, they are on strike...)

So, all I need to do is stick my hands in the crevices... I hope I can spot at least 1 lobster during my 2 dives.
I also heard that it might be easier to find lobster taking a walk (?) on the bottom and catch it from above... Has anybody tried this method??

I wonder how many lobsters people catch per dive...

...my buddy and I have had some success. I'll tell you how I do it, and you can adapt the techniques and configuration to your liking.

Equipment. Since I mostly night dive, I have a lot of lights. I use a C-8 for a primary, on a D ring mounted leash, an SL-4 for a backup, a MiniQ-40 on my mask strap for a head light, and a second MiniQ-40 for a backup backup.
I have my gage on a retractor on the lower right side of my BC, and a spring lock bag on my right hip. My buddy has his gage mounted on his light, this works really well for him, and I'm considering that configuration. We both wear kevlar gloves.

Now, I dive mostly in Malibu. Big Rock, the pier, Corral, County line. Finding the bugs come first. Water temp and habitat are the most important things. So, first find the habitat, then cover a lot of ground till you find a few bugs, in close proximity. Check the temp. This is where you'll most likely find lobsters in that area.

Start shallow. And I mean have your mask on, and be looking down, when you are still walking. I caught a 4 1/2 pounder in water I could stand in.

Capture. I keep my light in my right hand, and the headlight on, sweeping from side to side. When I spot a probable keeper, I turn off the primary, and position myself for a left handed grab. (I'm right handed, for some reason, the lefty grab works for me. It's why my gear is configured the way it is.) DON'T HESITATE!!! Grab fast and firm. OK, you've got him in the left hand. Drop your light, and grab your gage. Pin him to your leg, and measure. Remember, it's between the horns to the back of the carapice. If the back of your gage touches his tail, he's short, and on his way to freedom for another year. If the gage hits the carapice, his new name is lunch. Drop the gage, (it's on a retractor, remember?), and grab the squeeze lock with your right. Open, insert lunch, and let the bag close on your hand. Let go of the bug, and pull your hand out. Grab your primary, turn it back on, and look sharp, where there is one, there are usually more.

The head light is important, even when you're wrestling with the bug, you always have light where you need it. When bagging, this is invaluable.

Repeat six times.

When you're done with the dive, re-measure on the beach. Ere on the side of caution, always, I've heard it's a steep ticket. Remember, the limit is 7 per day.

No snares or tickle sticks in California, the only tool you can use is a pair of gloves.

This works for me, I've had lobster for dinner 4 times this year, given 10 to friends, as well as thrown a party serving 8.

I have caught 4 over 4 pounds, my buddy caught one 7+. (See SoCalAJ's post, 'Bug Caught off Malibu', this forum.)

Good Hunting, see you on the beach! :D

TJ

UmiDiver once bubbled...
So, all I need to do is stick my hands in the crevices... I hope I can spot at least 1 lobster during my 2 dives.
I also heard that it might be easier to find lobster taking a walk (?) on the bottom and catch it from above... Has anybody tried this method??
That's not quite ALL you need to do :D

My buddy normally limits out in one dive ('bout 70-90 minutes). I WOULD limit, but can't seem to limit on legals :)
He's been doing it for 25 years too.

Going in from above/behind is our method... occasionally, we'll find them out cruising in the sand, but they're normally still in the rocks. Ya, it's a lot easier to sweep in from behind... aim for the BACK of the tail because it will most likely bolt (backwards).

RichLockyer once bubbled...

Illegal in California.

NO SH**!

You know it used to be legal to shoot lobsters in Fla. I'm not for sure if that's still legal or not. I've never done it. But I have seen some Boat Capts. shoot lobsters that gratiously shared his catch with us.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom