Lobster, Wanted Alive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
From Andy S.
Lobster season is almost here. Starts at 12.01 am on Oct 1, 2011. Be safe and be sure if you come across one of these big bugs to just wave or if you must, takes its picture and return it to the ocean carefully. Thanks from all the little bugs out there who want to grow up to be big ones… And here is a link to F&G lobster info.

1111x17LobsterPosterfinal-1.jpg

A 8 pounder is at the the lower limit of keepers.

An 8 to 10 pounder is 10 is 15 years old and produces about 500,000 eggs per mating season of these it is estimated only two (2) will reach sexually maturity and reproduce themselves.

As the weight and size increases over 10 pounds the number of eggs carried will increase. It is estimated that a 10 pound plus lobster will produce one million (1,000,000) eggs per season, of these 4 or more lobsters will reach sexual maturity and reproduce at least 2 more lobsters. It is also estimated that a ten pounder has had about 10 matings and has produced around 30 mature lobsters.

Therefore, a quest to capture and display a "big lobster" just destroyed a small portion of the future lobster population for all future divers including your self--next time, if there is a next time, take a picture or two on the boat and reenter the water and gently place the lobster back on the bottom next to a hole that will provide shelter and wave bye bye to a friend that you hope to see every year for years to come.

FYI: In the early 1950s the F&G had a limit on the upper size and the lower size of a lobster. The lower size limit was as I recall 10-1/4 LOA, I don't recall the upper limit. The F&G at that early date had determined that the larger lobsters were the breeders and should be protected. This ban was lifted in 1955 (?) when the divers traded the right to Bay scallops for the removal of the upper size limit of a lobster...It is past time to once again reinstate the upper size limits.

Dr. SDM
NAUI instructor #27
BS in BIO

As someone who hunts with their teenage son, we have yest to ever even SEE one of these bad boys (or girls). Would so love the chance to come across one of these elders in our Calif waters (seen plenty in Mexico) just to be able to say we did. Who needs a pic? If u catch and take topside you stand a huge chance of damaging them in the process.

The biggest I've seen is a 7 pounder. As a novice bug hunter I (and others have hunted with) leave or put the anything over 7lbs back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom