Aqualung Axiom i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben.B

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was down at my LDS today to discuss the Aqualung Dimension i3 and the guy there told me about a new Aqualung BCD coming out mid October called the Axiom i3. Apparently it's the next iteration of the Pro QD i3 and features a buckle system for the tank and the air cell is made of 500D Armor Cordura, 1050D ballistic nylong and Titanium mesh.. It's got some pretty interesting features on it and now I think I'll wait until they get one in-store before buying my BCD, just in case I decide to go with that one instead. I've attached the product information page that he showed me and I've censored out the dealer costs since that's irrelevant to the consumer and I don't want to screw over the guy who showed me this.

IMG_1338.jpg

Looking at it, it looks very close to the Pro QD, If you were looking for a rear inflate, why would you wait for this to come out? I know someone that has used it and says it is by far one of the most comfortable BCs she has ever worn, and recommended it to me, but I want rear inflate. I will have to see it in her shop when it comes on the selves to know if I want that one (which she said would be around $675) or the Apeks WTX series setup.
One of the coolest things about this one is the pockets can hold 16 pounds each, and then the trim weights can hold their weight as well...

Thanks for the pic Ben, i wanted to see it!

Not bad looks like the Pro QD

I wanted to wait to see if this new piece of gear would feel better than the dimension. I am leaning more towards the dimension but I'm still very new to diving so I just want to make sure I get the right piece of gear for me.

This is supposed to be the next generation in the Pro QD line.

I just talked to my friend that used it, she said that it is like a hybred, the majority of the blatter is in the rear, while only a little bit is on the sides. I think it sounds cool, But just like you ben, I am new, and I only want to buy one BC, so I have ALOT of testing to do. LOL

I've been diving the Dimension i3 since January and love it. It is extremely comfortable. I also dive a Hogarthian BP/W setup and a Zeagle Ranger LTD depending upon the situation (demonstrating, assisting, fun-diving). I had a chance to check out the Axiom this week at my LDS. It is a very nice unit. Streamlining is about the same as the Dimension. The right side drop down pocket is larger and more usable than the Dimension. The Axiom has a left side pocket that the Dimension does not have. Left side hose routing is slightly different and somewhat improved on the Axiom, in my opinion. The Axiom has an additional stainless steel D-Ring on the right side, which is a welcome addition. A big plus for me on these BC's are the Octo-Pockets. Almost every octo-clip I've ever tried has failed at one time or another. I've never had my octo accidentally come free with this system. I prefer the tank band on the Axiom to the Dimension. The tank strap has, "pre-sets," (gaps in the velcro) for different tank sizes. You probably have to see this feature in person to appreciate it.

I like the i3 inflator however, I advise one word of caution here. I do not recommend using the skinny Miflex HP guage hose with the i3. While not a problem with the recommended hose routing, the Miflex hose is small enough to catch underneath the inflator lever and cause it to actuate. On the Dimension there is a velcro flap under which you can route your gauge hose. On the Axiom there is a path underneath the pocket you can route your gauge. Using these mitigate the above mentioned actuation problem.

This is one BC you can b that will work for pretty much every sort of recreational diving you would do. Construction is pretty bombproof, although I'd like to see a little more robust manual inflation device (which does work just fine BTW). If I were to boil it all down to one word for this BC, I'd say that word was, "comfort."

I plan to sell my Dimension and replace it with an Axiom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom