One way to add lead to your Nomad JT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stano

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a wet suit diver that needs lead. I am diving the Nomad JT and there are not a lot of options to add weight. i did talk to Lamar from Dive Rite and he tells me that the system was designed for Florida cave divers and not for Great Lakes wreck divers.

I added weight by melting two dive 8 lb weights into a sheet of lead. I drilled a hole in each corner of the sheet. I then fastened the sheet to the inside of the JT using bungees. The system works very well. If anyone wants any detail feel free to ask.

Stan

Link to photos

Nomad JT Photos | SmugMug

What kind of tanks are you using that you need that much weight?

Wow that's a thick wetsuit. Way too much neoprene for me. My rule is that if it's too cold for a 5mm then it's dry for me.

The weight plate looks good but can't you run into the same issue as using a backplate with sidemount? Like getting caught in a restriction?

Reactions: BB1
Thats typical for Great Lakes area diving. (2 layers of 7mm, farmer john pants+step-in jacket).

Me, I dive dry, unless I'm in the carribean, then it's 3mm.

Mike D

Wow that's a thick wetsuit. Way too much neoprene for me. My rule is that if it's too cold for a 5mm then it's dry for me.

Ever hear of a weight belt? I'm just saying.:)

weight belt, get yourself steel tanks and a drysuit. I dont need any weight with a medium undergarment and 2 lp 95's.

Yup heard of a weight belt in fact I have 10lbs in two pockets that is ditch-able.

I got a drysuit this year, nice Whites drysuit. I didn't dive it much in the heat of the summer as I hate putting it on.

When we dive dry we still need weight. Not sure why people say use a drysuit as a solution to weight? Doesn't work like that in my experience. My buddies all dive dry they all wear weight belts with a decent amount of weight. They are very experienced tech divers that routinely dive deep, as recently as last weekend on the Uganda (200') in the straights of mackinaw.

Personally I hate weight belts and would prefer to have as much as is safe on my back on my BC instead of hanging on my hips.

In any case possibly I helped somebody and that's all I was hoping to accomplish.

Stano

weight belt, get yourself steel tanks and a drysuit. I dont need any weight with a medium undergarment and 2 lp 95's.

Lucky you. I use 23lbs of lead when diving two worthington hp100s in my drysuit.

As for weightbelts, I agree with stano. I don't want it all bunched around my waist. Being able to distribute the weight to other places helps me dial in my trim and I find it more comfortable to wear in general.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom