Keys Shore Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Keller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am looking for shore dive sites and places to put in a kayak in the Keys. I will have a few people with me that have almost no experience snorkeling so I would be most interested in the least challenging sites. Visibility of 20-30 feet would be fine for their needs. I have heard Bahia Honda and Big Pine Keys mentioned as possible locations so if you have more detailed info about that it would be a big help. I also do a lot of kayak diving and would be interested in any site where I can put in by kayak that would also be within about 3-5 miles of a good dive site.

I found one location that might work. Anyone have any details about Founders Park on Plantation Key?

Founders is bayside, I would guess it would work for kayaking the flats. Harrry Harris Park in Islamorada is ok snorkeling oceanside. Bahia Honda is good snorkeling oceanside and I would think no problem launching a kayak. An easy entry for snorkeling/kayaking on Key Largo is the visitor center at Pennekamp Park. Admission fee but ok for starters--MM 102. Also diveable if needed due to weather on the reef. The aquarium is worth a look too. Feed the Tarpon at Robbie's Marina at about MM 80, free to watch--a few bucks for a bucket of fish.

Lots of kayak divers in Broward County--Ft Lauderdale area as the reefs are closer but beyond usual swim distance.

The best Florida shore dive I think is the Blue Heron Bridge near W Palm Beach. We went yesterday and saw a ton of critters in 19 ft of water. East and West sites are both open now. Just google for massive amounts of info or see threads here. One should dive around high tide for best viz. Viz yesterday was 10-12 ft somewhat below normal of 15-25 ft, 40 is wonderful there. We saw a batfish and a giant spotted moray yesterday, lots of juveniles, baitfish and a few of those seeking them, barjacks and barracuda. It is typically very active and can be a 2+ hour dive since it's shallow.

Thanks jimw, I am not seeing Harry Harris Park on Google Earth though. Can you give me more info on where it is located? What key is the aquarium on? I have heard about Bahia Honda but never dove there yet. Is it worth diving there or is it better suited for snorkeling? The last few years we stayed in Lauderdale by the Sea and I was able to do a lot of shore/kayak diving there. Also made it up to Blue Heron Bridge and I would agree that is the best shore dive I have been on in Florida.

Harry Harris Park is on Key Largo at Tavenier, ocean side about MM 90 or so. The aquarium is at the Pennekamp Visitor Center, Key Largo MM102; along with beach, snorkeling, camping, etc. They charge by the car, so put everyone in 1 vehicle. There are a few cannons, etc. in 5 feet of water to see off the beach at the visitor center.
No diving at Bahia Honda--it is shallow, but nice snorkeling and camping. Kayaking out to a dive might be possible there--I don't know. My sister lives on KL and kayaks the mangroves, she used to teach diving and never expressed any interest in kayaking to a dive.

Google Harry Harris Park for lots of info. Bahia Honda is nicer looking if you are down there. It's 45 miles south of Harry Harris/Tavenier. I saw my first Sea Hare at HH along the rock jetty.

Yep, LBTS and BHB!!

Enjoy your trip!

Founders Park looks like the best place to check these people out to start. Bahia Honda looks like the next best step after that. Where is the best spot on Bahia Honda to put in? The people I am doing my scuba diving with do not take snorkelers unless they are a part of a larger group of divers. Any suggestions for snorkel charter boats in the area?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom