Great Escape Trip Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrumpyOldGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I managed to tag another great dive trip on the end of a routine business trip to LA. After nearly a year absence due to schedule conflicts I managed to hook up with Capt Tim on the Great Escape to Catalina Island and it brought home the reason I keep returning to his boat whenever possible.

First, even though I am not a regular, the captain and crew treat you like an old friend. Food is top rate (cooked to order omelets for breakfast, fresh baked monkey bread and sliced fruit for snacks, streak and potatoes with salad for lunch). They cater to a nice cross section of moderate to highly experienced divers and their rules reflect that, they treat you like responsible adults, not cattle nor errant kids. The bunks and cabins are great for us lazy bums who like to sleep on board the night before. The top deck with a few cold brews is the perfect way to enjoy the return trip back to LA.

Catalina (and the Channel islands as a group) remains top rate diving. I made friends with a 7ft sea bass that insisted on hanging within 3-5 ft of me for 2 consecutive fives. Tons of lobsters hanging out under every rock (its pre-season) and the huge assortment of fish and invertebrates typically expected. Call me crazy, but the dives here top all but the best tropical locals.

The only sad thing is the boat was less than half full, just as every other So Cal boat has been this year. If you like So Cal diving, I would strongly recommend doing it now. The weather is great, the boats are lightly loaded and the prices have held study. For $115 it is a fantastic deal on the best diving around.

The Great Escape is my second favorite boat right after the Peace. And yes, the omelet sold me too.:eyebrow:

Can't wait to go back to SoCal and do some regular diving again. At the end of the year, Ocean Safari Scuba in San Gabriel usually charters out the Great Escape to do diving at Palos Verdes. I never missed that charter. All the Palos Verdes diving goodness without humping the gears.

Back
Top Bottom