How is the agility of a SM rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the Hermit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I spent a few hours searching the forum, but didn't find a straight forward answer to my concern. A little hesitant to intrude here, since I have no SM experience.

I looks like the flatter, wider profile improves stability, reduces entaglement, and makes equipment access easier. Looks like a really Zen rig that would be excellent in penetrations and careful explorations.

However, I am also wondering how SM works in strong currents and more aerobatic styled diving? It looks more stable, however, does the inherent stablity fight you if you need to hold an off-camber/off-axis position? If you are in strong current and looking to duck behind cover quickly, does it move with you well?

Basically, just how well does the SM rig weld to your body, so that you can actively move with grace, speed, and comfort?

The videos I've seen so far are all mellow close up explorations. Can you direct me to videos of SM divers who are doing more dynamic dives, that require greater flexibility, and more unusual attitudes (body placement, not mental...:wink:)?

I am considering if a SM rig can replace my BM for my tropical, mostly for fun dive trips? It sure would be cool to have a Tec rig that travelled well, and could be used in a wider variety of dive styles... PNG to Palau to Truk...

thanks... Don

Last edited:
In steel tanks rotating is a more conscious effort as opposed to "effortless" but I can maintain buoyancy sideways without much issue. Heads-down is no problem whatsoever. Keeping the tanks tighter with both mount points helps. Acceleration is somewhat slower (similar to doubles I guess), but moving in the water column is not.

AL is *definitely* easier, but I only have a few AL dives under my belt so I didn't have a chance to play around much. Just check videos #9 and #10 and you'll see it's a non-issue if you know what you are doing:
Go Side Mount - Steve Bogaerts & HP Hartmann

Scooter batics work just as well in SM as in BM - they stay put just fine when inverted with a scooter which was somewhat unexpected. If I roll inverted when swimming, I feel them shift, but it is not an issue and does not effect stability.

I have noticed the wider profile when pulling and gliding in high flow caves in that you have to stay just a bit farther out from the wall to ensure the tanks clear - but we are talking a total of maybe 6" farther.

There are two approaches to wearing the tanks 1) snug up the bungee and use a short tail to keep the tanks tight to your body, or 2) let them ride a little looser. It seems counter intuitive, but looser works better for me in tighter caves as it allows me to adjust my body position and tank position to fit the contour of the restriction.

Single tank sidemount with a steel tank like an LP 95 is awkward but it works well with an AL80 as the buoyancy swing from start to finish is minimal and does not impact your lateral trim significantly.

... six inches further from the walls seems a small price for eliminating tank/manifold interference with the ceiling ... and access to the plumbing , expecially where the environment is tight... must come in real handy, lots of times. Makes a good helmet that much more important though... insert smiley head crashing into the up side of a hatchway : here :

... sounds like a well built and fitted SM rig, that secures the tanks firmly but comfortably, results in a set up that is easier to balance than a BM. Actually much easier, since the rollover angle is probable over 110 deg of rotation for the SM, where as a diver with BM would tend to rollover around 60 deg, given that the flotation is deflated, that is.

... totally get that having a little play can allow more control, depending on the center of gravity/center of flotation characteristics of the diver.

... I will check out the videos and continue reserching the designs and possibilities. What I have seen for sale is not to complicated, and I believe I could add SM capability to my current equipment fairly easily (I have built a lot of sport and scuba gear with my heavy-duty Husky sewing machine). Trick will be to do it well...

thanks... Don

I spent a few hours searching the forum, but didn't find a straight forward answer to my concern. A little hesitant to intrude here, since I have no SM experience.

I looks like the flatter, wider profile improves stability, reduces entaglement, and makes equipment access easier. Looks like a really Zen rig that would be excellent in penetrations and careful explorations.

However, I am also wondering how SM works in strong currents and more aerobatic styled diving? It looks more stable, however, does the inherent stablity fight you if you need to hold an off-camber/off-axis position? If you are in strong current and looking to duck behind cover quickly, does it move with you well?

Basically, just how well does the SM rig weld to your body, so that you can actively move with grace, speed, and comfort?

The videos I've seen so far are all mellow close up explorations. Can you direct me to videos of SM divers who are doing more dynamic dives, that require greater flexibility, and more unusual attitudes (body placement, not mental...:wink:)?

I am considering if a SM rig can replace my BM for my tropical, mostly for fun dive trips? It sure would be cool to have a Tec rig that travelled well, and could be used in a wider variety of dive styles... PNG to Palau to Truk...

thanks... Don

FWIW, I often find myself forgetting I'm not on single backmount. This isn't very acrobatic, but it gives an idea of the ease of motion

Untitled on Vimeo

This past wreck season I have given the SM ago and been overall very pleased with the versatile nature of body position both in current and penetration.
You do have to adjust your metal awareness pertaining to profile for narrow horizontal passages / hall ways, etc.but you actually find that you automatically start to do this very easily.
As with any penetration running a reel while progressively moving further into wrecks be mindful of tangle and or line traps depending on silt and conditions.
I have fallen in love with SM and it really is a comfortable way to dive for me anyway.

Even hanging upside down, on one side. or gentle corkscrew turns are very easy and fun.
I was challenged to do some upside down dives and look for old flash bulbs in a few passages last season.
It amazed me that I actually saw a few still in areas I had been in but never looked in the nooks and crannies.
For me it is easier to dive in trim upside down in SM with out the rolling or turtling sensation.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

I don't look for flash bulbs, but I do look for lost line arrows and cookies in cavern zones and above the popular jumps. My experience mirror's Cam's in that once inverted, the tanks settle to their new positions and it is quite stable. I'm not sure what it looks like, but it is comfy. :D

I teach cave and decompression courses in both SM and BM and I have much more agility in SM. It is a sufficient enough difference that I end up staying much closer to my students in BM because I know it's not as quick or easy to get to them in that configuration.

Im pretty well convinced. I usually carry a large pony on my left side, and it has been a practical/comfortable set up. I've wished for an alternative to the behind the head controls and hangups, when doing BM doubles.

I am planning on a spring 2013 trip to Truk and I'll have the SM rig for that trip, unless I decide to train a CCR before then. I am confident a "well fit" SM would be excellent for the wrecks.

Which makes me think of a question - If you were to come across a narrow passage/manway, would you unclip a tank(and clip it off at the entrance) to take a "short" peek past the tight spot? Seems like it would be very easy with the independent setup at each side (definite advantage over a manifold). Or is it a bit more hassle than I imagine? I'm not suggesting this as a penetration strategy, just a potential option.

I appreciate everyone's comments... Don

It's not a hassle...it'd be very practical both to clip on and clip off. Steels would unbalance you a bit when you remove one, and you have to be careful about silting it up as well. But I'm never, ever leaving my redundancy behind to get through a restriction. Learning no-mount is a much better solution if you are considering that.

Back
Top Bottom