Aqua Lung BCD with i3...To Buy or Not To Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Cheatwood

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver looking at purchasing my own BCD and reg (and probably a computer too). I have been trying different BCs and I have decided on buying an Aqua-Lung BCD (more than likely a Jacket-Stype). Aqua Lung has some BCs they sell with this new i3 device on them that allows you to easily inflate and deflate the BC from a lever on the lower left side of the BC. I have tried this out in the pool and it seems to work well. I was wanting some opinion on whether or not I should consider purchasing one with i3.

Also while we are talking about BCs. I am having trouble deciding on buying my BC with an airsource inflator hose (I may be using the wrong term here...sorry!) with my alternate second stage built into the inflator hose. What are your thoughts here too?

Thanks

the i3 has been a for some time now, the back inflate version is new. also the octo on the inflator lp hose doesn't work with the i3 system. if you like the i3 idea try both the pro qd with i3 and the demension i3 i have a pro qd i3 that i used for about a year and went to a back inflate and never used the pro qd i3 again, but the demension was not an option back then

I know a couple of Course Directors and MSDTs that use the PRO QD with I3. Both enjoy the BCD and find it very user friendly.

You just have to get accustomed to where you reach with your left hand.

My only concern is my buddy spending extra time trying to figure out my setup in an emergency. I know we are suppose to check and be familiar with our buddy's gear each time we dive, but in an emergency would you remember. I am thinking to do with the tried and tested setup.

To start with, in a situation as you spoke of, your buddy uses his bcd to provide lift not your's.
If he can't understand to reach down vs reaching for the hose, I suggest you find another dive buddy.

change is good. look at the changes that have taken place over the years with equipment for diving. if it was not for advances like the i3 we would all be diving weight belts and j valves still.

I have the latest & greatest; bought in early Feb 2011. Almost 30 dives with it so far, in cold water and down south in Riviera Maya / Cozumel.

What I've noticed is that I accidentally trigger the i3 from time to time - causing unwanted inflation.
- in the boat, the wooden casings that hold your gear to your tank, can be high enough to hit the i3 "up"
- underwater, you can snag either a coral / rock (happened to me once at the Dos Ojos Cenote)
- underwater, on the bottom of the ocean, if you roll on your back on the side of the i3 instead of the side of your hoses, you hit the "up"
(I wanted to do :crafty: bubble rings)

Things I like :
- ironically the i3, not having to grab a hose on my left shoulder, and having that hose "move around"
- for men & cold water use, the multitude of weight pockets. I can easily put 4x5 in each side pocket, and 2x5 in the "hidden" back pockets that hug the tank.
- The weight management (put in, take out) is great.
- lots of pockets
- only one strap for the tank, there's a "lip" to hug the tank at the bottom
- feels snug with lots of places to adjust
- the large handle at the top, also used as a brace with the tank

For my girlfriend, the women's version with i3 is even more amazing. Simplified greatly, shaped for women with breats. She loves it.

I give it a 4/5, the i3 could have been placed in a slightly better place, or, there should be a removable "shield" when diving w/o gloves

I would not recommend for non-cold water divers; especially if you like using belts and dive mostly off of boats in the ocean.

If you are looking at getting a Duo Air (Alternate second on the inflator hose) then why would you get the i3. The advantage of the i3 is you dont have to have the inflator hose.

I'm new to diving as well and went with the i3.

I trained on a jacket inflated BCD that I rented from Sport Chalet and I found myself constantly having to rotate myself to keep the air equally spread in the jacket. So I talked to one of the diver masters and he mentioned that when I turn all the air is moving to one side causing me to roll. He suggested a back inflation BCD for when I purchased. I went with the Dinension i3 because it felt more comfortable and I liked the idea of the i3 lever instead of having to remember to hold up my inflator hose every time.

I tried it out in the pool a couple of days ago and will dive with it on Sunday. In the pool I could easily see why it was suggested for me. I had no roll at all, I could dive facing down and deflate at the same time (very cool), and the i3 lever was in a place where my hands naturally fell.

I did have an issue in the pool with the lever though. When I went to reach down to dump air I kept hitting the hose that attaches to the regulator 1st stage. It seems to be a small fit to get your gloved fingers in there to dump air, especially if your in a hurry because you remembered at the last moment to do it while your ascending.

Also keep in mind that when you are expelling air that the exhaust ports are on the right side only. No big deal for experienced divers I'm sure, but as someone new in the diving world I found myself having to adjust my position to dump it properly.

I'll know more after this weekend when I use it 60 feet down.

My only concern is my buddy spending extra time trying to figure out my setup in an emergency. I know we are suppose to check and be familiar with our buddy's gear each time we dive, but in an emergency would you remember. I am thinking to do with the tried and tested setup.

Of all the reasons to discourage the ownership of the automatic transmission, this ain't it.

What's a tried-n-trued setup? Every BC's manufacturers have different places to put inflate/deflate buttons.

The automatic transmission works quite well for those who don't want to learn buoyancy control.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom