Open Water Air Share While Sidemounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWSWine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was taught in my cavern class the the best way to air share in dual sidemount was doing a side by side with out of air diver in front with arm extend holding the hose while the other diver has contact with the arm between the elbow and wrist. This allows signaling between the the two divers and better control and inline is used for restriction only. I was talking with some certified dual sidemount divers and they were taught that inline with the out of diver trailing is the proper way to open water air share and that was the only way they were taught. Since I not certified sidemount diver, which is the proper way to do air share in open water were you need to make back to up line or doing a shore dive?

Assuming I'm diving with someone who's not freaking out on me, I'm going to do it the same way I would with backmount ... hand him my right tank reg (with the 7-foot hose on it) and have him swim beside me ... on my right side ... while breathing off the right tank. Meanwhile, I'll have my bungee'd left tank reg to breathe from.

In open water, why would you have the OOA diver trailing? You can't see him back there, and if he has a problem you won't be in a position to respond to it promptly. Even through a restriction ... where you have to be inline ... you're going to want to keep the OOA diver in front of you, where you can keep an eye on him.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Assuming I'm diving with someone who's not freaking out on me, I'm going to do it the same way I would with backmount ... hand him my right tank reg (with the 7-foot hose on it) and have him swim beside me ... on my right side ... while breathing off the right tank. Meanwhile, I'll have my bungee'd left tank reg to breathe from.

In open water, why would you have the OOA diver trailing? You can't see him back there, and if he has a problem you won't be in a position to respond to it promptly. Even through a restriction ... where you have to be inline ... you're going to want to keep the OOA diver in front of you, where you can keep an eye on him.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
AGREED.:cool2:

I also give the right/longhose to OOA buddy.

If he calls for air when I'm using it (right tank), I just take it out and give it over to him, then use the left/bungee.

If I am using at the time the left tank, then I usually have the right one clipped to my harness with a small dog clip. However, instead of attaching the clip on the hose itself as most divers do (or the ones I've seen), I have the small dog clip inserted on a small bungee loop around the 2nd stage mouthpiece so when it is clipped on harness it is easily pulled off.

If you're diving with a well-known buddy, and assuming he is calm and your gas management leaves enough gas in each tank for both of you to abort the dive safely (e.g. you keep third's rule on your tanks)- you may consider detaching the tank and handling it over to him. So after he gets your reg and is breathing, you just unclip from bottom, remove top from your bungees and he clips it to his harness. Then you start aborting the dive.
You can practice a little bit and it'll take you about 5-10 seconds to handle over the tank (and for buddy to clip it).

I'd probably not consider detaching the tank for a couple of reasons ...

1. It complicates the problem
2. It changes the buoyancy characteristics of both divers

I dive with twin steel 100's ... and although I have tested swimming with just one tank, it is demonstrably more comfortable swimming with them both.

You're already dealing with a stress-inducing issue ... why introduce another stressor into the situation? Seems to me there's more potential drawback than potential benefit in unclipping and handing off your tank in this situation ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You're right in all points. I noted it as an option in case you're diving with a well known buddy. For example, most of the time I'm solo so I know myself and no problem detaching the tank :eyebrow: .

Just kidding- when I dive with my permanent buddy (my wife, a.k.a. "HER") I know every reaction of hers just as if it were my own, so her doffing a tank (and donning it on my side, or vice versa) is just a simple task, no hassle involved, no problem agravation.

We dive a lot SSM ("Single Sided Mount" or "Half Mount") with Als or moderate steels (Faber 15L, 16.4 Kg- slightly positive buoyancy when ~50 bars) and do not feel any real difference vs. when using tanks on both sides. Of course, in this configuration we use a regular regulator (Longhose + Necklace) and practice "normal OOA".

Anyway, other than practicing purposes, I had only two cases in which my buddies (not HER :wink: ) finished their air before we were able to clear to a safe area (boats, jetskis and the such) so it was not a real malfunction or stressful OOA situation but rather "controlled"- When they got to the 20 bar zone I detached one of my tanks, they clipped it and we could easily continue at 5-6 meter until reaching a safe area for surfacing- much easier like that rather that trailing them on the longhose... That's why I never dive in a threesome- don't want to have one buddy stealing a tank from each side leaving me OOA :D

my problem with unclipping a tank is that it would take me a very long time - fiddle with the regs, undo the bc or drysuit (which i usually can't do while it's pressurized), unclip the bottle from the top, unclip it from the bottom...we could have been out of the water by this time. so no unclipping if it's me. you'll get a reg and be happy, young man!

unclipping a tank and handing it over is something from diving stages, it is absolutely not a good idea in sidemount diving. Even with a buddy that you and he have practiced it a great deal it is no where near as efficient as just donating your long hose and making your exit. The only forseable reason for unclipping a tank is if it was needed for going through a bottle off restriction...which you would be doing anyway.

In general in a failure in a cave environment, you want to place the diver with the failure in front where you can keep him under observation.

Setting the pace with an OOA failure is a non issue as the odds are he or she will be highly motivated to exit, so too slow is not an issue, and too fast is something you can control as you have the gas and the OOA diver cannot proceed any faster than the second stage on the end of the hose is moving.

As an aside, if it's a light failure, you can more effectively light the way for them if you are trailing behind than you can if you are leading, so again in a light failure, the person with the failure is in front.)

Marci and I have practiced air sharing in side mount through a fairly snug passage on a 5' hose and we've confirmed we can make adequate headway, and I think having the diver with the failure lead ensures that that diver does not get left behind or gets the hose popped out of his or her mouth.

In OW side by side makes sense as their is no need to move into a trail formation.

I agree with Marci that unclipping is potentially a slow process, and in a tight tunnel it will greatly increase the silt issue, meaning that in a tight and fluffy bottomed tunnel you'll be swapping tanks in zero viz while also having to pass them forward and back wards to complete the swap. That's an idea that has "bad" written all over it. From that perspective, swapping tanks is something that works best in a larger tunnel, and if you are in a larger tunnel, you no longer have any need.

Consequently, if a total OOA failure (extremely unlikely in SM) occurs in a snug passage, you share the long hose until you are in a larger tunnel, then continue sharing on the long hose. If you still had a long length of restrictio to pass through, you'd then have to weigh the time and gas needed to swap tanks with the reduced speed through the restriction - and I'd still be inclined to share on the long hose unless the restriction were really long and really tight and/or required a great deal of body or equipment manipulation to get through.

Realistically, you won't encounter a total gas failure, so it's more of a gas planning issue in terms of ensuring that the diver with a tan or reg failure has enough gas in the remaining tank to get through any restriction on his/her own, eliminating the need to share gas in spots where it might slow you down. In that scenario the gas sharing would occur in the larger tunnel between restrictions.

However, with proper gas planning and gas management, it will never be neccesary as a sidemount diver will reach maximum pentration with (at least) enough gas in either tank that equals the amount used from both tanks to get to that point. In other words, he or she will use 1/3rd of the gas in each tank reaching the turn point, thus still having 2/3rds left in each tank. You can make it more conservative by reducing the "third" from (for example) 1200 psi to 1000 psi which will leave an extra 400 psi in each tank above "thirds" as a pad at the turn point. That is also a rationale that is used by SM divers who do not have a long hose at all, and there is nothing wrong with that reasoning - but it does require discipline on the team.

Now in mixed BM/SM teams, a total gas loss by the back mount diver is a possibility and for that reason a long hose is essential for the SM diver.

I fully agree.
I dive in the great lakes area year round, in a drysuit.
I use dry gloves for 1/2 the season.
I am new to sidemount diving, but my left reg is attached to my wing inflator, & my right to my drysuit.
I won't be handing off a cylinder.
I use a 7 ft right hose as I'm an avid wreck diver.
Added task loading in an already stressfull situation (OOA) just does not make sense.

Mike D

my problem with unclipping a tank is that it would take me a very long time - fiddle with the regs, undo the bc or drysuit (which i usually can't do while it's pressurized), unclip the bottle from the top, unclip it from the bottom...we could have been out of the water by this time. so no unclipping if it's me. you'll get a reg and be happy, young man!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom