Avalon Sucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firewalker

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was reading the thread about the Instructor pushing divers off the line and I have to wonder why go to Avalon in the first place. Avalon sucks. It sucked in the 70's when I first dove it, it sucked in the 80's and the 90's, and it still sucks today in 2011.
Why does it suck? Will let me count the ways.
First getting there has always sucked. Today you have to take the Express ( which has become expensive and less friendly). Parking is a pain (and expensive), carrying the equipment up the stairs and out to the boat is a pain( you need a two wheeler or a four wheeler to make it reasonable). The crew on the Express seems to be getting the same attitude as the old Catalina ferry crew had.
Once there, there is no transportation. You have to "again" carry or wheel your gear up to the top of the dock. There you need to find a taxi (which are expensive) or go on one of the trucks (which very often destroys your gear), or walk a half mile with a 100 pounds of gear. Once at the Park you have to "again" handle the equipment (this is the fourth time so far on this trip) . At the park everything becomes territorial (with divers all trying to mark their space).
Then you suit up, if you brought your own tanks you have a chance of getting in first. You do your gear checks before you go to the stairs, and look down at your gear bag, (and hope it's still there when you come back). Down the stairs you go (but wait here's someone doing a gear check or is she putting on her make-up, no she forgot her fins, Oh no someone didn't turn on their air, is that a regulator on backwards, a weight belt just fell off, wait is that their instructor who's tank just fell out of his backpack). After what seemed to be an hour you finally get into the water, you and about a 100 other divers. You take a quick look at the 30 to 40 foot vis because you know that in a few minutes it will be a dirty 10.
Down the hill you glide , Avalon is steep and deep and at times heavily kelped (it's an Advanced dive not an entry level student dive or a dive for someone new to the sport ). At 70 feet you look back up the hill and see classes passing by (with great rolling dust clouds behind them). You try to stay out at the lines, hoping for less traffic (is that a lost student sitting in the bull kelp just up ahead?). Your gas is at 2/3's so it's time to start back up the hill. You level off a 15 ft. and watch all the legs and fins thrashing about at the stairs. You surface and see lines of divers at the stairs. You exit on the rocks just like the old days. You look over and see the line at the fill station, and another transport truck with a new group of divers. Your buddy gives you the UP hand sign and we both start packing our gear so we can get the hell out of here. You call a taxi and wait and watch the chaos(I will admit there is some high entertainment value at the dive park). The taxi comes and you pick-up your gear again and put in the taxi. You go to the mole and take the gear off the taxi and put your gear in storage(if you count it, you have had to pick-up your gear and handle it a minimum of 10 times for an Avalon trip).
After lunch you take the early boat back to Long Beach. As you are paying the man at the parking gate ( you think, that really sucked, I wish I sent that $120 on a dive boat instead).
Avalon sucks.

While, mildly amusing, soooo not been my experience.

Wow -- I've only done the dive park a few times, but that has not been my experience. Instead, I've enjoyed lovely stairs down which to enter, and a solid handrail on them to help me get out. The viz has been fantastic, by Puget Sound standards, even when everyone local was complaining that it was bad. The park itself is big enough to keep one amused for several dives, and with permission to go to the Valiant, you can't even see everything in a day. The park is FULL of marine life, including rays, eels, sharks, umpteen Garibaldis, and an amazing panoply of nudibranchs.

Yes, there is a lot of gear-schlepping, and I wouldn't want to commute there day after day, but I'd definitely go back, the next time I'm in LA.

Valiant.jpg
This is at the bow of the Valiant in January of last year. Vis is good from time to time, and the park can be really nice. Seems like we see black sea bass there pretty often. I have to agree that the Catalina Express may be pricing themselves out of the market by raising their rates. Cost of a day boat is about the same now with more choice on dive sites. If you are a gentle soul in need of a dive valet perhaps you are going to the wrong place.

Wow -- I've only done the dive park a few times, but that has not been my experience. Instead, I've enjoyed lovely stairs down which to enter, and a solid handrail on them to help me get out. The viz has been fantastic, by Puget Sound standards, even when everyone local was complaining that it was bad. The park itself is big enough to keep one amused for several dives, and with permission to go to the Valiant, you can't even see everything in a day. The park is FULL of marine life, including rays, eels, sharks, umpteen Garibaldis, and an amazing panoply of nudibranchs.

Yes, there is a lot of gear-schlepping, and I wouldn't want to commute there day after day, but I'd definitely go back, the next time I'm in LA.

Should I mark my calendar?

Some of my prettiest dives anywhere have been there. Looked up once and a 30 foot diameter circle of baitfish was circling around my wife, flashing silver from the sun. Hard to beat that, even if the GSB like to hide behind us and mock!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom