Saving and displaying souvenirs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knfmn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I tend to collect minor souvenirs from dives that have great importance to me. These are not plant or animal, but usually something as simple as a smaller rock I find on the bottom that catches my eye. My question is this.....where do those of you who collect any sort of souvenir store them? Do you use one of the shadow-box type wall displays? I ask here as I know that some wreck divers do so with the intent of collecting souvenirs or trophies of their dives and figured I'd have a decent chance of getting my question answered.

Thanks,

Kristopher

In general it is very bad form to remove anything from a wreck. If every diver who visits a wreck takes something then eventually there will be no interesting little bits left.
I could maybe see taking a rock as okay, but if that rock were part of the ships ballast you would again be stripping the wreck.

The only souvenirs you should take are pictures.

Thank you for the useless reply. Note that at no point did I say, "is this ok to do, guys??" I asked a question about displaying souvenirs. Period.

Kristopher

Fine, Shadow boxes would look alright if the object was relatively flat allowing for an attractive shadow. A more three dimensional object would be (in my opinion) better displayed on a top lit shelf, possible on a stand.

Here:

My table in my living room is basically a square wooden box with glass on top. Inside it's a compartment about 8" deep, that has beach sand, sea shells, coral pieces, crystals, beach glass, etc.

I put my collections of rock / coral pieces taken from the bottom, and put them inside after washing. Great conversation piece.

Some people I know use their fish tank.

That's a very good idea, Mark.

Thanks for the shelving suggestion, Hashime.

Kristopher

I have built in bookshelves with a fireplace between, the shelves are for diving memorabilia.

When I started diving JYC was harpooning whales and blowing up coral, so wreck raping was not a big no no....

.....my kids were somewhat bent when I pointed out that times change and would not let them collect from wrecks, so my youngest began picking up rocks and empty shells as you are doing....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom