Pilots and Tech-Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plane Trouble

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any professional pilots (airline, corporate) on the forum who are also actively engaged in technical diving. Technical diving is something I am interested but it seems illusive as to how to functionally fit this into a active flying lifestyle. If you are a career pilot who technically dives I'd like to discuss some issues with you.

Best :cheers:
JBH

I know there are some pilots here but I don't recall if they are tech divers or not. You mimght have more luck posting in one of the tech forums rather than basic scuba. If your concern is ascending to altitude after diving, those questions could also be addressed by people who aren't pilots, if you spell them out

You'll have a quicker response on The Deco Stop or RebreatherWorld, but to answer your question, I have many clients who are tech divers and commercial pilots. Time to fly is still 24 hours, regardless of type of diving done. Almost every tech diver I know is a private pilot. I'm not because I can take off and fly all day. That landing thing really screws me up.

I am actively engaged in both activities. Like Wookie said, you are looking at at least 24 hours from diving to flying. My work just so happens to have the same restriction for all scuba activities (not just tech). I have done most of my diving at altitude as well, and have never had any issues with cabin pressures the next day in excess or 10,000 feet. Feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss this. Ultimately, a little bit of common sense, conservatism, and adherance to published guidelines should keep you out of trouble. NOAA has a good bit of info for flying after diving that should be easy to find on these message boards and will probably help you make the right choices for yourself.

Safe Diving!!!

I'm a military pilot and a tech diver. I must abide by a 24-hour rule between diving and flying. Not too tough to arrange.

Back
Top Bottom