Refresher Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I both spent hundreds of hours diving in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba while he was stationed there (8 years, collectively) He has since retired but we are looking forward to a dive trip to Cabo San Lucas in May of 2012. We're currently living in Yakima, WA and are interested in refreshing our skills before we go. I have found several posts from 2005 that name 3 dive shops here in town, but all of them have disconnected numbers now. Guess that's understandable for a dive shop trying to make it in such a landlocked area. Any divers out there who are from central WA? Do we need to take a hop to Seattle for our refresher, or are there shops here we might not have heard about?

Any guidance will be hugely appreciated!

I'm sure dive ops in Cabo will happily offer a refresher for small fee... at least that's what they do in Cancun and PDC.

You would be much better off asking this question in the regional forum for Washington. I will ask that it be moved.

I'm sorry I can't help you with a dive shop suggestion in Yakima, but I'm a recently transplanted Floridian living in Seattle now. I used to work in a dive shop in Florida and I have to say that Evergreen Dive Service in Everett is very well run local dive shop. I think it might be worth it to take a weekend trip and dive the sound to prepare for your trip. If you can tackle the sound, you should have no problem in cabo. Good luck!

Yeah, of course you will also need to buy a 7 mill suit or drysuit for the weekend. Unless you have such gear from previous dive experiences in Cuba. On the other hand many here swear the diving in the sound is extraordinary and you might want to get such thermal gear so as to enjoy a more local dive experience.

Actually, it is quite possible to rent exposure protection for a class, from any dive shop in the Seattle area.

I came up with this shop in Kennewick: UnderSea Adventures - Your Full Service Diving Center I don't know where they do their training, but refreshers can be done in a pool.

Thanks to all for the friendly advice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom