Breathing problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frarie

Registered
Reaction score
This is something I'm very puzzled about, I'm having breathing problems under water no-one else I talked to so far has.

Inhaling is no problem, it's very easy, but when I exhale, it goes in bursts or in one big very fast burst. I can't breath out normally without doing it in bursts.

Anyone got this problem or knows about this?

My far fetched guess until now is that I'm not able to exhale through my mouth entirely... i.e. partly goes through my nose making me stop exhaling because it 'opens' up my mask.

Ps. I've got a 2nd stage with normal breathing properties (i.e. the reviews say it's not too hard to breath): ScubaPro MK2 and R380 (pretty sure about this, although I tend to forget numbers and I don't have them handy here).
Ps2. I'm not an experienced diver (about 20 dives so far).
Ps3. I had a medical check-up prior to diving. This included exhaling tests. No problem found there.

A few ideas.

Firstly have you tried another regulator (or even using your octo?) just to rule out something sticking ?

Secondly, when i started i realised i was breathing half out through my nose, half through my mouth all the time. No idea how i cured it - it just stopped.

Do you have the same problem when using a Snorkel? That would help eliminate equipment problem or mental problem.

Can you breathe through a snorkel without this happening?

---oops, never mind. someone alread asked this.

R..

String once bubbled...
A few ideas.

Firstly have you tried another regulator (or even using your octo?) just to rule out something sticking ?

A very good suggestion, I should've thought of that: try the octo. I'll try that out next time.

Secondly, when i started i realised i was breathing half out through my nose, half through my mouth all the time. No idea how i cured it - it just stopped.

Ack, so that might be my problem also, I'll try to think of that next time. Hmmm, I need to make some cheap dives, I might go practise a lil in a swimming pool or something.

cmcarver once bubbled...
Do you have the same problem when using a Snorkel? That would help eliminate equipment problem or mental problem.

Yep, no problem at all with the snorkel. But that's probably because there's no efford at all since there's no high pressure. I could also link this to the nose thing I described before; when there's more pressure, the chance of the air seeking different ways than the 2nd stage itself becomes higher I guess.

I actually find it easier to breath off a regulator than a snorkle. Most times I transfer to a snorkle I find the first breath awkward , when breathing a reg after you have cracked it it just seems to fill you lungs without any effort what so ever.

Saudi-Diver once bubbled...
I actually find it easier to breath off a regulator than a snorkle. Most times I transfer to a snorkle I find the first breath awkward , when breathing a reg after you have cracked it it just seems to fill you lungs without any effort what so ever.

Yes, I agree wrt. inhaling, that's allot easier and indeed tends to 'shoot' the air into yer longs :)
But exhaling is, as far as my experience goes, alot easier through a snorkel.

Try exhaling through your regulator with a slow ahhhhh sound from your throat. This will give you a source of focus on your breathing and help you control the speed at which you exhale. I think, perhaps, that you are still a little uncomfortable with the idea of breathing air underwater and trusting your equipment, so you are blasting out the air quickly in order to grab another breath quickly. I'm thinking you're right in doing some pool time and focusing on this problem. Hell, wear the mask at home and practice breathing through your mouth.

don

My guess is a slightly nervous related, airway control problem.

You'll grow out of it before you know it.

Kinda like the folks who try to clear a mask while breathing out their reg!!! They KNOW they should breathe out their noses, but they can't make their brain make their airway control happen.

Don't fret it, brother. Practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom