Progress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This weekend was the first time I had to end my dive due to NDLs instead of gas supply.

I'm pretty psyched about that.

I know it's stupid, but I feel like a better diver for it.

Hey, it's all about having fun and staying within THE limits and your limits.

I know what you mean! I remember the first time I had to surface not because of lack of air!

These days I have a tendancy to be cold before either low air or approaching NDLs - and thats in a drysuit!

I wish I lived somewhere warmer! :)

saying once bubbled...
This weekend was the first time I had to end my dive due to NDLs instead of gas supply.

I'm pretty psyched about that.

I know it's stupid, but I feel like a better diver for it.

If your NDLs resulted from using tables, you may want to get a dive computer. Computers are more accurate about interpolating your times at given depths. Plus long dives at shallow depths using tables unfairly limit you as well, since in reality you could stay forever at 20 fsw, whereas the tables make you round up to 40 ft. Big difference.

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...

If your NDLs resulted from using tables, you may want to get a dive computer.

That's why I'm really psyched... not only was it a computer computed bottom time... it was on a pretty healthy nitrox mix.

Now, it is a Suunto, which I know is often like an overly-careful Grandmother about times, but I'm saying...

saying once bubbled...

That's why I'm really psyched... not only was it a computer computed bottom time... it was on a pretty healthy nitrox mix.

Now, it is a Suunto, which I know is often like an overly-careful Grandmother about times, but I'm saying...

Give us some more clues?

Were you diving doubles then?

Or doing a whole lot of repetitive dives?

saying once bubbled... This weekend was the first time I had to end my dive due to NDLs instead of gas supply.
That's a major waypoint in diver development.
saying once bubbled... I'm pretty psyched about that.
...and well you should be.
saying once bubbled... I know it's stupid, but I feel like a better diver for it.
It's not stupid at all. It means you are getting more comfortable in the water.

saying once bubbled...
... Suunto, which I know is often like an overly-careful Grandmother about times, ...

I think if you push Suunto to the limits at 100 fsw or deeper, you will find that it is no grandmother at all.

Do not try it!

Just saying, Suunto looks conservative by its low NDLs compared to USN. But on deeper dives, it rivals USN, which means you really should have a hyperbaric chamber on site first, if you want to push the deep end limits of Suunto as well.

saying once bubbled...

Good work man, it's cool to see yourself improve eh? Are you tracking your SAC/RMV (the cfm you're using, I've seen some confusion over which is which) but that's a good tangible way to monitor what's going on with your breathing.

Were you diving doubles then?

Single Steel 100s

Or doing a whole lot of repetitive dives?

Repetitive yes, a whole lot... not really. Not enough to destroy bottom times.

Loaded everything from this weekend into the Suunto dive manager which reports my SAC has dropped down to around an average of .62 or .63. Not yet where I hope it can one day be, but it's been headed that way.

By the way, anyone know exactly how the dive manager figures the SAC rate? Does it just do average depth & PSI used or does it figure in each depth? (This is for non AI.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom