Diving after getting being sick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NavyGuyAN

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's that time of year again when everyone seems to get sick with the colds, flu, sinus infections/congestions, etc...
My question is how soon after recovering from a severe cold or flu would it be "OK" to go diving again?
I know this may seem like a common sense question to everyone, but I dont want to be that guy that falls into the SDS (Stupid Diver Syndrome) catagory?

As soon as you can breathe through your nose.

The biggest determinants of this are the ability to equalize air spaces. You can easily test your ability to pressurize your ears on land . . . if it's impossible or even difficult, you should probably wait longer.

It is more difficult to estimate how easily you can equalize your sinuses, and sinuses, because of the small size of their openings, are more prone to reverse block. So I would say that, if you still have any significant degree of sinus stuffiness (nasal voice, facial pressure, etc.) you should wait.

There are studies which show that exercise prolongs the duration of viral illnesses, but it was significant exercise (and the study was in horses :) ).

For the common cold, it takes me a week to get over my congestion and runny nose. 2 weeks for my sinuses to clear up. And 3 weeks for my cough to go away.

If I have to, I'm able to dive 2 weeks after my cold. I prefer to wait until all symptoms are gone though. YMMV
As long as you can equalize and perform up to par then I say it's safe to go diving.

As soon as you can breathe through your nose.

My very infrequent colds produce post nasal drip, due to mega-congestion. I'm usually dry for about 3 weeks. When I have just a little congestion left, but can breathe well through the nose I can go. That's the only time I have any trouble equalising, but it is minimal. I guess there's no exact way, just that if equalising is a problem you must abort. I imagine everyone is different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom