Hiring a guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve1962

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is it standard practice to have to hire a guide in Fl? Are there any dive shops in keys or South beach area that include guides?

I don't know about south beach but in the keys if you want a guide then yes you usually have to hire one. Most ops don't include one. The DM may get in the water to just dive but most stay on the boat.

Last edited:
Key Dives in Islamorada has all guided dives. Dove with them 2 years ago, great operation. Hoping to return in March.

Several of the dive shops on Key Largo furnish a DM on every dive at no extra cost. Others will charge for their service. As more of them offer free guides others will follow. One I know of is Rainbow Reef. If you 'Google' "Key Largo scuba diving" most of the operators will come up and you can search their websites to see if they furnish a DM for free or you can give them a ring and ask. Personally, I prefer a guide for one purpose: To get me back to the boat since I can get lost in a one-chair barber shop.

Why more people do not hire a guide when diving a totally new enviorment is beyond my guesses. Recently there was a family diving in Jupiter. They obviously had just done one of those resort classes and could have used a professional dive guide for sure.

Having a guide on a dive site where you are not familiar with the area, proper entries and techniques, etc. is
always a good idea. Whether or not a guide is provided for you by the dive operator (and whether or not it will cost you extra) varies by operator as well. I also know that dive operators can either have a dive guide/DM in the water with the group, or have an additional staff member that acts as a guide while the DM stays on the boat. Usually the additional staff member is paid an extra fee for their time as guide, where the DM guide is not (but is tipped at the end of course!).

I often work as a guide for divers (separate and independent of dive operators) and I charge a fee for my time. No one who needs the assistance of a guide will object to paying for the service and the feeling of safety that comes along with it!

Having a guide on a dive site where you are not familiar with the area, proper entries and techniques, etc. is
always a good idea. Whether or not a guide is provided for you by the dive operator (and whether or not it will cost you extra) varies by operator as well. I also know that dive operators can either have a dive guide/DM in the water with the group, or have an additional staff member that acts as a guide while the DM stays on the boat. Usually the additional staff member is paid an extra fee for their time as guide, where the DM guide is not (but is tipped at the end of course!).

I often work as a guide for divers (separate and independent of dive operators) and I charge a fee for my time. No one who needs the assistance of a guide will object to paying for the service and the feeling of safety that comes along with it!

I don't have a problem with hiring a guide, I was just asking about the shop practices. I'm new to diving the 2 outfits i've used the guide was included.

Why more people do not hire a guide when diving a totally new enviorment is beyond my guesses. Recently there was a family diving in Jupiter. They obviously had just done one of those resort classes and could have used a professional dive guide for sure.

I'm new to diving, (since July 2011) and also will be going alone, so a guide is a must for me! And unless it's someone I've dove with for a long time I would hire one if I had a buddy. I was asking the question, because right now I think I would feel comfortable with a guide that dives these sites all the time, rather than one that just shows up when hired. Just a comfort thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom