FF body and Nikkor 14-24 performance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GRH

Contributor
Reaction score
I had hoped to use my 14-24 with a Nikon FF underwater setup and have only found a couple references to its performance. One was positive and one was reserved with concerns about corner softness. I would
appreciate hearing about others experiences and links to reviews or posts about the 14-24 f2.8 AFS. I don't have any underwater equipment yet since I am a new diver and need to get a lot more experience first but currently shoot Nikon D3S's.

When you get some time, take a look at this facebook account. There are some amazing photos by world class photographers here. At least one of them uses a 14-24 lens on a D3s or D3x. All of the photographers post wonderful photos using cameras from a G12 up to the latest and greatest.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/underwaterphotographers/

Jerry

Having used the 14-24mm on a D3, I can say that corner sharpness is definitely an issue. As much as I like the lens for shooting out of the water, I do not find it a good lens for underwater use. I've attempted to use a larger dome (the 9.25" megdome) to help with this issue, but it still is a problem. I do find the corner sharpness issue tends to disappear around 18mm, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having the 14-24.

I thought it polite to take the conversation over here since I didn’t want to thread jack and get too far off topic.

Are you talking about getting better than 1:1 magnification? With the 60mm an 105mm lenses you don't normally need any sort of diopter, but the addition of one will reduce the minimum focusing distance and allow you to get closer than without a diopter, achieving a greater than 1:1 magnification. If you're new to underwater photography, I wouldn't be too eager to get into shooting super macro just yet as this will require a higher degree of ability managing the rig and it will be somewhat more challenging framing your shots.
Hi Warren, yes, greater than 1:1 and I understand the additional challenges super macro adds underwater, and in air for that matter, but I also have specific requirements for my above water photography so any equipment purchases I make have both goals in mind. It will be awhile before much of any underwater photography takes place as I work on buoyancy skills but I am putting my kit together and have a few projects I am planning that will not require much diving skill and will be in a pool or shallow water.

Warren, I did end up getting the Sigma 15mm FE based on your and a few others recommendation.

Thanks.

Agree with Warren.
You can add a +5 diopter (filter type fitting) to either lens for further magnification and more frustration as well. You are of course stuck with that throughout the dive. The second alternative is to add a SubSee (type) kit which are wet mount +5 and +10 diopters. These give you the best of both worlds as you can switch while you dive. However you may have to hold on to your wallet.

@GRH You might want to check with the Nikon 60 mm G lens. I am fairly certain it does not auto focus well with most (if not all) Tele Converters. The older and slightly cheaper AF Micro 60mm does not have that problem.

As I mentioned to Warren, there are a few specific requirements I have above the water too. There are definitely compromises and shots you will miss based on the setup you choose at any given time and I would have a specific type of image in mind when I do decide to go underwater with an extension tube, TC, or close-up filter. For field sports I have the opposite problem even with two bodies, a 600mm on one and a 200-400 zoom on the other. Many photojournalists will have three bodies since when the player scores and runs right at me I am left watching the jube a few feet in front of me with no way to get the shot.

I have received the 60mm G I ordered. Nice lens but does not have the same solid, feel I am used to with my other Nikkor lenses. I also have a PK-11a to try with the 105mm AF D and some B+W close-Up filters now to complete a project I want to try so when and if I find a super macro subject underwater, I will have a means to get frustrated. Are you trying to tell me it is not practical to carry multiple housings, bodies and lenses, set up a tripod and make fine adjustments with a focus rail? If I can hand hold a 200-400 how hard can that be?

My wallet has already been violently ripped from me so too late for that warning.

Real men don’t use emoticons and I’m still working on becoming a real man so understand at times I have a very poor and dry sense of humor.

You could always get a 52mm to 62mm stepup ring, $6.95 at B&H.
General Brand 52mm-62mm Step-Up Ring (Lens to Filter) 52-62 B&H
Thanks.

Quick test with the 15mm

original.jpg

200-400 hand held, does Aquatica make a port with focus/zoom control? If you answer that you didn't read the rest of my reply.

138587869.jpg

Hi Warren, yes, greater than 1:1 and I understand the additional challenges super macro adds underwater, and in air for that matter, but I also have specific requirements for my above water photography so any equipment purchases I make have both goals in mind.

Those two purposes are somewhat at odds with each other. I find that often what you use for above water photography isn't really optimal for underwater use.

It will be awhile before much of any underwater photography takes place as I work on buoyancy skills but I am putting my kit together and have a few projects I am planning that will not require much diving skill and will be in a pool or shallow water.

Excellent. I wish more new underwater photographers would do exactly that.

I have received the 60mm G I ordered. Nice lens but does not have the same solid, feel I am used to with my other Nikkor lenses. I also have a PK-11a to try with the 105mm AF D and some B+W close-Up filters now to complete a project I want to try so when and if I find a super macro subject underwater, I will have a means to get frustrated. Are you trying to tell me it is not practical to carry multiple housings, bodies and lenses, set up a tripod and make fine adjustments with a focus rail? If I can hand hold a 200-400 how hard can that be?

With the PK-11a you're going to lose autofocus capability so it will have to be manual focus, which adds another element of difficulty to your macro shooting in addition to being more difficult to spot and frame your subject. As far as carrying multiple housings, etc, I am not sure if you mean while traveling or actually on a dive? For traveling I find that even with one housing, I have two bodies, a whole bunch of lenses, strobes, arms, ports, chargers, batteries, etc that really push my weight limits, so adding another housing is going to be challenging. On a dive, I think a second rig is managable in certain circumstances, but it strikes me as being more trouble than potential benefit. I just make my choice of lens and live with it. I did buy a macromate wet diopter (it attaches to port and the lens sits outside in front of the flat port glass) which is on a hinge that can be swung out of the way when I don't want to use it.

Those two purposes are somewhat at odds with each other. I find that often what you use for above water photography isn't really optimal for underwater use.

Excellent. I wish more new underwater photographers would do exactly that.

With the PK-11a you're going to lose autofocus capability so it will have to be manual focus, which adds another element of difficulty to your macro shooting in addition to being more difficult to spot and frame your subject. As far as carrying multiple housings, etc, I am not sure if you mean while traveling or actually on a dive? For traveling I find that even with one housing, I have two bodies, a whole bunch of lenses, strobes, arms, ports, chargers, batteries, etc that really push my weight limits, so adding another housing is going to be challenging. On a dive, I think a second rig is managable in certain circumstances, but it strikes me as being more trouble than potential benefit. I just make my choice of lens and live with it. I did buy a macromate wet diopter (it attaches to port and the lens sits outside in front of the flat port glass) which is on a hinge that can be swung out of the way when I don't want to use it.

Remember the dry sense of humor warning Warren.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom