Drysuit Squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Noob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got a new drysuit (Nex-Gen Pro), and I like it a lot.

However, there is a problem with squeeze. I generally use my BCD for buoyancy and only inflate my drysuit to counteract squeeze (tried the other way and didn't like it). I haven't been uncomfortable in this new drysuit (due to squeeze or other stuff). BUT for some reason, when I get home, I get these extreme squeeze-like marks on my chest.

The thing is that I don't feel it any uncomfortable squeeze at all during the dive or after. Rubbing the marks right now does not hurt. They just look ugly.

One thing I do with this suit is hang a key in a small tube on my undergarment zipper. Maybe that's the thing that's causing the marks when coupled with the squeeze.

I didn't get the marks in the White's Fusion rentals that I've used before, but I always hung the key-tube on the suspenders on the shoulders.

Anyone have this problem before, and how did you deal with it?

If you're getting marks, most likely you just need to put more air in the suit.

As said above more air, you I had squeeze marks the other day but I left a couple pounds of weight off so didn't have a choice to get down it didn't hurt ever but that is the cause.

Ben

There are two reasons to add air to a dry suit, to compensate for suit squeeze and to loft you undergarments a little for warmth. If you're getting too much squeeze, you need to add a few lbs of lead, similarly, if you need a little warmth, you need to do the same. Use you BC (or BP/w) to compensate for the weight of your gas.

I was in DUI dog day. I was told this this. If you are neutrally buoyant in water, raise your left arm above head, the air bubble should stop just above your elbow. I know it is different for everyone & different suit, it maybe a good starting point.

When I first started dry diving I used my BCD for buoyancy also. Once I got the hang of using my BCD on the surface only and using my drysuit for buoyancy it got alot easier. I only have to vent my suit when heading up, not trying to do both at once. As for squeeze, air in your BCD=less air in your suit.

I understand all of your answers, and it confirmed what I assumed.

My major confusion stemmed from the fact that this occurred in one suit and not another when both times, the squeeze (or lack thereof) felt exactly the same. The only difference was the suit and the position of my key-holder.

Material in the new suit could be 'stiffer' due to its lack of use. Rental suit may have softened. This might make a difference with leaving marks - but the root problem in either instance is that there is insufficient air in the suit.

Did the under-garments change?

Nope, no change in undergarments, but like I mentioned, I changed the positioning of my key-holding tube (which is hard plastic) to the front of my chest. But I think you all covered what is probably the main issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom