? Re: Beginner Diving in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HBK391

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

My boyfriend and I were scuba certified approximately two years ago. We haven't done any diving since. We have been diving in St. Maarten (a Discover Scuba class) and our local freshwater quarry (Certification).

We are taking a trip in November to Key West and were wondering if anyone had any experience diving down there? We are looking for a reputable dive shop that will be accommodating to beginners. We're not looking to go wreck diving or anything super extravagant; we'd be happy just reef diving!

Thank you for any/all responses.

:D

My two shop recommendations in KW are always Subtropic and Bonsai divers. Subtropic runs a larger boat and Pete (Bonsai) runs a 6 pack - though in November you may not have a problem with crowds - we never did. What you might have some issues with are sea conditions. In my experience (albeit limited), surface conditions can be rough in November (and most of the winter from my understanding) - last year our first 3 days were blown out. When we finally did get out it was rather choppy on the surface with a bit of surge at depth.

The reefs themselves are easy dives - nice and shallow - 30ish feet max, lots of fish - some sharks if you are lucky (we were :D) Another thing to be aware of is that a "standard" dive trip in the Keys does not include a guide. Given your experience and presumed lack of navigation skill, I'd recommend paying a bit extra for that guide. The finger reefs are more complicated navigating compared to the simply following a wall or sloped reef one way and then turning around.

For a new diver may I recommend Dive Key West as your operator. They run a nice operation but what sets them apart from the others mentioned is that every dive is led by a divemaster in the water, so newer divers can relax a bit more and enjoy a nicer dive experience with fewer worries.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom