Loose tank boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My son bought a couple of 1996 PST LP95s last spring that did not have tank boots on them. He recently bought a couple of 8 inch diameter tank boots for them but the boots do not fit tightly. They slide on and off easily and would probably come off in the water. Anyone else ever have this problem? What can be used to hold the boots on the tanks?

simple answer..not all tanks nor tank boots are created equal. I have two boots around here that have plants growing in them.

One thing to keep in mind..some boots are specifically intended for flat bottomed (aluminum tanks), not the oval bottom steels. The boots may have the same "nominal" diameter, but one designed for a flat bottomed aluminum tank (al 100) won't work on your 95's.

simple answer..not all tanks nor tank boots are created equal. I have two boots around here that have plants growing in them.

One thing to keep in mind..some boots are specifically intended for flat bottomed (aluminum tanks), not the oval bottom steels. The boots may have the same "nominal" diameter, but one designed for a flat bottomed aluminum tank (al 100) won't work on your 95's.

These are definitely steel tank boots. They are just a bit too big for the tanks.

Be happy that they come off easily. Either leave them off altogether or take them off after putting the BC on (a single tank).

"Missing" boots make old tanks get even older. Boots are a salt water and corrosion trap.

you could boil the rubber boots, or add a flame to the plastic ones and try to refit it tigher that way, or use self tapping screw and screw it to the tank< it might not give the tank a long life but it would hold them on.

Silicone glue might hold for awhile, is it to store them or hold in upright position, I take all my boots off, for ease of good rinse after dive.

He wants the tank boots primarily for ease of storage between dives and to make it easier to attach his BC when getting ready to dive. The idea of taking them off before a dive does have merit.

Last edited:
Well. I honestly never owned PST's. I have had Faber LP 98's, Scubapro LP 95's ~ Fabers, and Worthington X-7 100's 3442. I've seen used PST's for sale with boots, so they must be out there.

A couple of padded out hose clamps boiling water and tighten more, allow to cool, remove clamps, perhaps redo

Fold some gaffer tape in half and wrap it around the tank below boot height

I dislike tank boots, I avoid them if possible. This is mostly because I have had to replace the boots on my aluminum tanks at least once per tank, they always crack and fall off. If you want to keep them on consider using a rubber band to increase the diameter of the tank.

GOOP brand silicone adhesive. Always removable with some effort- just a few of 1/4" dabs will do. Don't get crazy.

Problem (?) resolved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom