Problems diving with BP&W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry if this is obvious but is your tank properly aligned? how is your weight distributed? Shoulder straps dont need to be super tight, waist should be snug.

Go to this website and have a read/look it has some good info on setting up backplate.

BAUE How To Size a Backplate

Good luck.

The shoulder straps and waist belt should keep the backplate snug against your body. It should not be uncomfortable. The straps should be loose enough, however, to be able to remove the backplate easily.

Your posture underwater should have your back slightly arched, head up, legs spread slightly to form a stable platform. With time, you will learn how to keep from rolling side to side. It is like learning to ride a bicycle. A little more practice and you will be cruising the deep with ease!

If its actually moving to the side its probably a combo of both or the tank is not properly aligned. I will be up at Maeda tomorrow afternoon diving if you are around I could take a look and show you how to adjust the straps correctly etc... Give me a call at the shop and we can fix you up if you are working tomorrow.

I'll offer another idea based on ... "it was turning me to the side"

it may be that your not used to the weight / center of buoyancy change .. when I first got my steel tank it was frustrating the heck outta me cause if I stopped, or leaned, I would turn me upside down, after a couple of dives, all is well
Make sure your properly weighted too
... you will get used to it and much like riding a bicycle, it will become natural

The shoulder straps don't have to be terribly tight, but the waist strap AND crotch strap should be snug. Are you using a crotch strap? If not, that will contribute to instability.

What type of wing are you using? If you're wing is too big or wedge shaped it may contribute to your trim if you get all the air onto one side of it.

This sounds simplistic but make sure that your shoulder straps are adjusted so that they're even. One side tighter/looser than the other will result in an unbalanced rig.

What type of wing are you using? If you're wing is too big or wedge shaped it may contribute to your trim if you get all the air onto one side of it.

Yeah it seems more likely to me that it's simply the wing trapping air. For example if your right side is dipping, counter the roll forcefully while going slightly heads-up and squeeze the left side of the wing. That should fix it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom