SCUBA refresher courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wings

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

I'm a new diver (certified this past summer), and also the typical (poor) college student. I probably won't have the money to dive consistently until after I graduate in May 2013 (hopefully going to get in 4 dives a year, if I had to guess). So my question is, how often are refresher courses recommended - or do you guys have other recommendations?

Thanks!

My reccomendation would be to take one whenever you are lacking confidence in your ability.

You could always use a pool and do your own refresher type course. As you (and I) are both broke college students, paying for a refresher course is tough!

wings, do you have a pool you can practice in? Usually, if a dive shop has a pool, they will offer it up for a few bucks for practice, if they do not have a class going.

I personally hit the pool at least once a month; more often if I know I need practice on something. I write a series of tasks on a slate and go through them. Search YouTube for "scuba kicks".

Giant stride into the deep end.
Practice hovering.
Practice controlled ascents and descents (1 foot increments) Hover at each stop 30sec.
Regulator remove and replace - don't move, hover.
Regulator swap - don't move
Mask flood and clear - don't move
Mask off, drop to floor, pick up, replace . . . don't move (see the trend?)
Practice kicks - modified flutter, frog, modified frog, back kick (the last one is a biotch, but you'll get it.)
Helicopter turns - both ways
Get a weight - 8-10 lbs. pick it up while holding position (inflate bc)
Put the weight down and hold position. (deflate bc)
Deploy a light. Stow a light.
Drop your weight belt . . . exhaust your bc and exhale at the same time . . .
If you can do all that in an hour or so once a month, you're good!

I'm not a broke college student, but I am rather fond of them! :D

However, I dislike diving cold mountain lakes with 1-3" visibility.

As mentioned, if possible you should do a refresher when you feel you need it. Also, I recommend re-studying the manual and other materials you have. Mental practise is not as good as actually doing skills in water, but I am proof that it does help. During winter it's too cold here to do anything but a quickie 20 min. dive (wetsuit)--no messing with skill practise-- and the pool is too far away. Mentally and PHYSICALLY going through the motions of the basic skills in our basement helped me tremendously to get my DM. Do what you must do.

I don't really need a refresher course but I belong to the local Y and use their pool in the afternoon about once a month these days to just get wet.

To be short and to the point, I think that if you have had not had scuba gear on for a year (pool or open water)a refresher is worthwhile prior to going on a dive outing, local or far away. I might also add that some dive concessionaires will make you take theirs at a higher cost than your LDS if you have been dry for a year or more. (and they don't count pool time). Be as active a diver as you can be. I lead a refresher course, and I will say that they are a good idea for anyone to take every now and then, active or not.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom