The life of a South Fl. Dive master?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys, just wondering if some of you could enlighten me on the 'life' of a south florida divemaster.

I really know nothing about it, and have seen various different accounts of what they actually do.

I know they guide dives if people would like to have guidance, but I think i've also seen where they just help the divers enter the water, as well as exit the water.

Is there much competition for DM positions? Or does it even out because of the massive amount of vacation divers?
Would it be worth the 2 hr drive (each way) to go to key largo for work (on the weekends) vs just DM'ing Ft. Lauderdale / Pompano etc.

Any additional input would be appreciated!

Thanks, Richie

It would depend on your motivation for being a dive master. If you are in it for the money, don't quit your day job! If you are truely into diving and can make a "life" from doing something else, go for it! Where I live, there are dive masters a plenty, and you wait in line to be "scheduled" to lead a trip. Most of us are happy just to get a "free" dive while carrying the ball and looking out for the vacationers. Some times it is pure pleasure, other times you KNOW you've worked your butt off for peanuts. My personal opinion is: any day of diving where everyone boards on the boat safe and sound is a good day, regardless of the tips earned. If you expect and depend on a certain amount of money to live, as I mentioned previously, don't quit your day job!

Richie,

It depends on what you want to do as a dive master. If you wish to lead dives you can depending on the shop you associate with or you can assist with classes. I do both because I want to gain experience before I progress into an IDC. However, there is a lot of competition to lead boat dives; Jupitermermaid and I work at the same shop. There is not much money in it; just like she said do not quit your day job.

I would imagine driving to the Keys spending money on gas and other expenses just to dive and work for tips would not be worth it. I would also imagine that the competition would be stiffer since it is a smaller community of divers and I would guess these trips would go to the locals first.

If you wish to become a DM in the future dive in more diverse environments and get more dive experience. Also, if you would like to see what we do come up to Jupiter one afternoon I can show you around and give you a behind the scenes sort of and dive. I feel you need to meet some potential mentors to further your dive experiences and education.

Richie,

A lot of this stuff has already been said. There are more DMs here than jobs, it's a lot of work for little pay, etc.
I have a great deal of personal experience as a DM and really love doing the work, but I am never gonna make a living solely from that (notice my signature line below). Nearly every DM I know has a second (or third) job as a supplement.

That all being said, getting to be on the water, sometimes diving with the divers (depends on the operator here) and meeting interesting people are definitely perks of the job.

The place where (it seems) there are not a lot of willing DMs, is working with instructors in certification classes. As an Instructor myself, I often find the need for a DM for the larger classes. This means not only assisting with pool classes, but also on open water checkout dives, whether it's off a beach, in the ocean or in a lake somewhere. Again, unless you're being paid by a shop, you're not gonna get rich (most independent DMs work for tips only), but you will get lots of experience dealing with issues that come up on a dive, which can help you out when you finally do get to work on a boat.

None of us are telling you not to be a DM, just giving you insight from our own experiences. I spent 25 years in the corporate world before I became an Instructor, and I am NOT going back!! I'd rather be on/in the water regardless of what I was doing!!

At this point in my life, im a full time student, so that is my priority.

I do love diving, and currently do not have a job. Working as a DM seems like it would hit two birds (maybe even three) with one stone. I would A) be able to dive B) make a little money (more than i'm making now - I'm jobless in FL) and C) get to dive for free - be it in a pool, off the beach, or even on a boat.

Sotgecho - I may have to take you up on that offer.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom