Spineless inhabitants on the Redondo Barge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Sitting like a rusty plateau above sand and gravel, the barge holds too many treasures to photograph in one dive. But we keep trying.

Phil found this simnia snail on the hull of the barge, not on the red gorgonian where it's usually seen.

Delonovolva aequalis

Simnia800bIMAG0024.jpg

Simnia800IMAG0030.jpg

Simnia800IMAG0035.jpg

What nudibranchs on the barge may lack in numbers, they make up for in variety. Phil and I have seen at least 12 species of nudi there.

What a coincidence that Tritonia festiva lays eggs in the same chevron pattern as occurs on its dorsum. This particular festiva is in the same spot week after week.

Tritoniafestiva800IMAG0011.jpg

Tritoniafestivaeggs800IMAG0002.jpg

Hermissenda crassicornis laid its eggs near the ones shown above.

HermissendayellowrockeggsIMAG0016.jpg

This young Triopha catalinae sits next to what may be a juvenile rock scallop, Crassedoma giganteum. The scallop swims at this stage!

TcatalinapectinbabiescroppedIMAG0010.jpg

As Phil mentioned in his report, we found two new-to-me nudis on one rock. Bonanza!
The melted-wax appearing Dirona picta.

DironapictaonH-rockIMAG0019.jpg

DironapictaonH-rockIMAG0021.jpg

The almost transparent Cadlina modesta wouldn't show its gills.

Cadlinamodesta800IMAG0027.jpg

This month, I could only find one of my favorite, Aegires albopunctatus.

AegiresIMAG0013.jpg

Doris montereyensis picks up debris on its tubercles.

Montereydorid800IMAG0008.jpg

Since I sense that Patrick Smith is probably pulling out his hair at this point, I'll finish with this worm, which is not related to nudis.

It didn't like the focus light on my camera, and I haven't been able to find another one since.

wormonbarge800IMAG00339-4-11.jpg

And why don't you make posts more often:confused:

Excellent composition and lighting on the final Simnia shot. The Dirona picta is such a wild looking nudi. Doesn't conform to any of the "standard" nudi configurations. Very cool series!

That worm looks like an underwater centipede. This is why I love diving. Just when you thought you see it all, then something new popped up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom