PNG, Coral sea, Oz just got back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What a fantastic trip. First dives at Walindi plantation on the Island of New Britain PNG, what can I say this is the best diving I have ever done. The viz just keeps going on and on into the blue, temp I used speedos :) the sea life, coral and colors were like a kaleidoscope always changing at high speed my neck is sore from all the swiveling. The dive master's are all local people who know the reefs and the life on it like the back of there hands, we saw a lot of things we would have missed had it not been for them eg, the dive master told my wife to put her hand into a small hole in the reef and when she did a hord of small translucent cleaner shrimp came from the walls of the opening and commenced to clean her hand. As she withdrew her hand they all went back on to the walls of there home, my turn next. As soon as my hand went in, down they came, you can feel them moving over your hand and a little nibble as they are cleaning. There were never more than six divers per boat three per dive master and sometimes as in my wifes case just her and the dive master. If you wanted to see something special just tell them before the dive and they will find it in a very short time. All dives were at your pace and the Dm's just watched over you.

The resort its self was seconde to none the accomadation and food are the best and the service was outstanding, laundry in the basket before going diving and it was neatly folded in your room when you came back with the bed made and flowers on it I must admit I felt guilty at time's it was like haveing a hand servent. I would highly recoment this place www.walindi.com

Next a live-aboard on the Diversety for four days to Osprey reef in the Coral sea with stops at the GBR on the way out and back.
The boat, food, dive sites and staff were very good BUT I must say I was disappointed with the type of diving, six divers playing follow the DM and the object seemed to be to cover as much reef as possible in the dive with no time to stop and take photos. On one dive we were at about seventy feet on the edge of a drop of. when we saw two manta rays side by side doing loops to our right and out from the wall about 50 ft away, after stoping for a few seconds the DM started to move along the reef in the opposite direction ^%$*#@ I wanted to get closer to get a photo but had to keep up with the group.

Hey cd, looks like PNG outdid the Coral Sea, I was thinking it might. I hope you got some more pics coming my way!!:)

Looking forward to your total report!
Caymaniac

Thanks for the reference to the resort website. Is that place as expensive as it was shown on one travel agent site -- ie, $300+ daily for a room for 2, and $250+ daily for 2 tank diving?

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom