Has anyone got their hands on a Silent Submersion Minnus 1.5?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ft.lauderdale diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking at the specs of Silent Submersion new lines and wondering if anyone has had a chance to try a minnus 1.5? Price looks great considering it's lithium powered, under 40 lbs, less expensive than competitors comparables.

Anyone have want to give their 2 cents?

Tony Land (Tienuts) from Reef Photo had one on the Spree 3 weeks ago. They sure are small. Stop by Reef and take a look.

The Minnus was part of the Tahoe Benchmark project this year. I don't know where the project is on its timeline -- original predictions were that the report was going to be out last month. You could PM fdog and ask.

I took a minus for a spin in Jackson Blue. Even with a bulky/heavy dslr bolted to it the little machine ran really nice.

Turns really well, though overall feels like a short n19 with speed control (no surprise really).

Seems like a nice wreck weapon, though the runtime of the viper makes more sense in a cave to me, unless travel is your intention.

Regards,
Damien Siviero
http://damiensiviero.com

It looks to compare very similarly to the Minnus, with a larger battery. Its 10 pounds lighter than the Magnus, and 4 inches shorter. I would imagine once its in the water, it probably acts similar to both of those scooters. These are good things for someone like you who would most likely use it on a wreck or reef dive in most cases. I would love to hear from someone that has used one as well. One thing I wonder about is how it handles at top running speed, and if the scooter really feels a lot lighter after losing 10 lbs.

I got a chance to run one at the DPV races at Weeki Wachee a short while back and liked it alot. I'd put on par with a N-19 in the water, but the small lighter package out of the water is a joy. Very nice and since I don't see the big need to go faster than what about 50lbs of thrust will get you, I'd buy it for myself before the Magnus.

Are you referring to the minnus or the larger 1.5? the 1.5 doesn't seem too small at 39lbs. I agree with you regarding getting it over the magnus. lugging 50lbs just doesn't seem necessary when something 10lbs lighter is pracically the same. Can't comment on the thrust. Not sure.. but you raise a good question.. How many people constantly run at full speed, unless you're racing?

I got a chance to run one at the DPV races at Weeki Wachee a short while back and liked it alot. I'd put on par with a N-19 in the water, but the small lighter package out of the water is a joy. Very nice and since I don't see the big need to go faster than what about 50lbs of thrust will get you, I'd buy it for myself before the Magnus.

Yes. I'm aware of the specs.. which is why it's so attractive.. But from what I hear you have your order placed! Congrats.. If I could throw down the cash I'd get one too. Best bang for your buck if you want a Liion dpv with weight being a concern..

It looks to compare very similarly to the Minnus, with a larger battery. Its 10 pounds lighter than the Magnus, and 4 inches shorter. I would imagine once its in the water, it probably acts similar to both of those scooters. These are good things for someone like you who would most likely use it on a wreck or reef dive in most cases. I would love to hear from someone that has used one as well. One thing I wonder about is how it handles at top running speed, and if the scooter really feels a lot lighter after losing 10 lbs.

Are you referring to the minnus or the larger 1.5? the 1.5 doesn't seem too small at 39lbs. I agree with you regarding getting it over the magnus. lugging 50lbs just doesn't seem necessary when something 10lbs lighter is pracically the same. Can't comment on the thrust. Not sure.. but you raise a good question.. How many people constantly run at full speed, unless you're racing?

I've got a bunch of scooters and none of them are the newer compact models. What I have noticed is that how well they carry above water has a lot more to do with size, handles and weight distribution than anything else. The compactness of the Minnus is just an ease to manage. As for thurst it has as much as I think you could need for anything I can imagine.

Back
Top Bottom