IANTD Advanced Nitrox and Normoxic Trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It looks like IANTD offers a course path that allows one to take Advanced Nitrox and then Normoxic Trimix without a separate "decompression procedures" class as a prerequisite. I assume this is because decompression procedures are covered as part of the Trimix course.

Am I correct in my view?

Are you in the Houston area.. call these guys

http://oceanicventuers.com

Eric is on the board of IANTD, but if you have a particular need he can combine or also do PSAI etc. He or Ann can answer any questions you have about that. If you are not in Houston they can also find you an instructor in your area.. good people

They also bank 10/50, 21/35, EAN80, 32, and boost O2, He, Ar so you can get fills quick or top off whatever you have.

They don't have a separate deco procedures course like TDI, so Advanced Nitrox is what you need. In the past they also required Technical Diver(aka "Deep Air") but that requirement has been dropped.

It looks like IANTD offers a course path that allows one to take Advanced Nitrox and then Normoxic Trimix without a separate "decompression procedures" class as a prerequisite. I assume this is because decompression procedures are covered as part of the Trimix course.

Am I correct in my view?

Advanced Nitrox is a decompression course. However it limits that deco to 15 minutes. Obviously no-one is realistically going to stop you doing more deco after the course.

You can then go straight to Normoxic Trimix instead of technical nitrox (extended range for IANTD). You can also go the other way and do TN and then go straight to full Mix bypassing Normoxic.

Advanced Nitrox is a decompression course. However it limits that deco to 15 minutes. Obviously no-one is realistically going to stop you doing more deco after the course.

You can then go straight to Normoxic Trimix instead of technical nitrox (extended range for IANTD). You can also go the other way and do TN and then go straight to full Mix bypassing Normoxic.

Thanks. Not sure if I want to go normoxic though, that's a BIG step.

It's not a big step. I am going to generalise here so...... Typically deco happens after a deeper that normal dive (below 130ft. Yes divers also do shallow deco dives on reefs and caves). Once you start doing these kinds of dives you want to use a better gas like trimix. IANTD has always promoted diving with Nitrox or something better and is the basis of all their training.

doh!, I meant not ready for hypoxic mixes.

I know I want to go beyond Advanced Recreational Trimix, not sure if I'll go the next step, as I see breathing hypoxic blends as a very large step, and 200ft will give me plenty of space to build skills and experience at my own pace.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Doh!!, You also get normoxic trimix which is not hypoxic and the correct gas for 200ft dives (18% O2 X 7ATA or 200ft = PP02 1.2)

You don't get Advanced Recreational trimix only rec trimix. After that normoxic and then full trimix.

Was not aware they did an adv rec trimix. My apologies. Had a look at the standards doc and would rather just go for normoxic IMO.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom