Removing SMOKE smell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claymore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased a used BCD wing and when I received it found that it had come from a home with a heavy smoker and reeked of cigaret smoke :(. It is a urethane bladder inside a fabric cover style wing.

Does any one know if there is a safe way to remove the strong smoke odor from the cover and the bladder?

Ozone is the best way to permanently remove odors, but I'll bet that ozone will play hell on the bladder. Did you try Sink the Stink yet?

I thought about Ozone but figured it would play hell with the urethane and the elastic cover. Have not gotten to any remedies yet.
Thanks for the sugestion.

What about just regular laundry detergent? Pretty mild and it gets the smell out of regular fabric

There is only one safe thing to do. Sign up on a two week live aboard dive boat that allows 5 dives a day plus a night dive. Just show this post to you wife if you have any trouble.

And if she won't let you go, I'll do the work getting the smell out for you. Just cover expenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently purchased a used BCD wing and when I received it found that it had come from a home with a heavy smoker and reeked of cigaret smoke :(. It is a urethane bladder inside a fabric cover style wing.

Does any one know if there is a safe way to remove the strong smoke odor from the cover and the bladder?

Take up smoking, that will destroy your sense of smell and it won't bother you anymore.

If the way mine smells after a night in the pool is any indication, just do a pool dive with it.....and people wonder why I have a pool reg/BC/wetsuit.
A good hand washing in laundry detergent followed by a few dives will likely reduce the smell to a tolerable level.

Wouldn't one of the scent eliminator sprays that hunters use work on killing the odor?

submerge in seawater repeatedly, and allow to dry in the sun between dunkings???? :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom