New to dork diving. How do I get certified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subcooled

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I'm new here. One day I wanted to make some small non-dir adjustments to my gear, and while asking for support and looking for exciting new ideas, I faced questioning and denial. I should not do anything creative, because someone else already knows what is best for me. I should be content with that. And obey. People could not understand me. Some people felt that I was arrogant with my ideas. And I felt sad.

Now I feel we need more dork divers. This was supposed to be fun. I want yellow fins.
And maybe a fluorescent snorkel. Halloween is coming.

And I have a question:

Am I allowed to splash with the fins, while sitting at waters edge? I think that the water drops look beautiful in the sun, but I'm afraid that I loose my concentration, enter the water mentally unstable, and die.

Hi, I'm new here. One day I wanted to make some small non-dir adjustments to my gear, and while asking for support and looking for exciting new ideas, I faced questioning and denial. I should not do anything creative, because someone else already knows what is best for me. I should be content with that. And obey. People could not understand me. Some people felt that I was arrogant with my ideas. And I felt sad.

Now I feel we need more dork divers. This was supposed to be fun. I want yellow fins.

And I have a question:

Am I allowed to splash with the fins, while sitting at waters edge? I think that the water drops look beautiful in the sun, but I'm afraid that I loose my concentration, enter the water mentally unstable, and die.

Yes, but only if you have your fluorescent snorkel with you. Otherwise you could get hit by a boat. Safety First!

And I have a question:

Yes. I have yellow fins (and snorkle). for the costume dive last halloween, i added a long sleeve shirt and was a banana. i may have a video of it on my page.

Attachments

• 245228005_1953142154860262_6380312851172222808_n.jpg
    245228005_1953142154860262_6380312851172222808_n.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 69
What's the carbon footprint of splashing with the fins? Does it harm the reef? If we let you splash with your fins, then everyone will want to splash with their fins and it'll just be chaos. :fishslap:

And I have a question:

I totally get the frustration of dealing with folks that believe they know what's best for you..... and there's a big difference between the folks that might offer respectful safety advice vs the self righteous a-holes that feel the need to tell you that you're stupid or somehow inferior to them for using split fins, a back mounted pony, a mask with a clear skirt or a BC inflator with integrated octo.... I say.... as long as you're not negatively impacting the environment or infringing on anyone else's rights (including anyone that might be placed in thee position of needing to rescue you) ....then just have fun and do whatever makes you happy......

I have total respect for outfits and philosophy's like DIR and GUE...... right up to the point where any of them want to get "preachy" or "righteous" about it.......then my response is simply GFY........and when you do GFY.....make sure you are always in a perfectly horizontal position.....

........and when you do GFY.....make sure you are always in a perfectly horizontal position.....

FYR?...

Anyway...
I like tweaking things. Like everything.
I don’t have a prob w the fact that it may be pointless. That someone else has found a better system.
Sometimes I get there first, sometimes last. So it goes.
But I also do it for the ride.
When I learn a new idea from someone else I’ll switch over. No probs.
Like the thread about why non-GUE divers are interested in Gue procedures.
Why not? It’s ideas right?
I strictly dive solo (a kind of neurotic hang up) but I’d still have the conversation w the gue peeps.

Maybe we need a pimp your dive kit forum here where you can’t flame anyone, just roll around in the ecstasy of modifications of gear and ideas.

jm:
Yes, but only if you have your fluorescent snorkel with you. Otherwise you could get hit by a boat. Safety First!
Perhaps SOLAS reflective tape would suffice, though?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom