DIffuser-Deflector Panel and Sticky Buttons On Ikelite Housing For Canon S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BravoPapaWhisky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there,

I have sent a PM to Ikelite Staff regarding the issues I have, but decided to also post here so other people might benefit from reading the exchange.

1. First of all, I managed to broke my deflector and lost my diffuser panel for my Canon S90 housing (long and frustrating story).
I am wondering if I can buy them directly from Ikelite.
The local dealer in Indonesia doesn't have them on stock, and they don't know how to order from Ikelite because the parts don't
have any part number. Even if they could, it would take them very long (more than 3 months) to order.

2. My second issue is with sticky buttons.
I always soak my housing in fresh water after each dive, but in my last dive trip I experienced sticky buttons when going deeper
than 30 feet (9m), sometimes even shallower.
I have had the housing for about one year and took it down around 100 times.
Reading through stuff on the net, I found that some people also blow air into the slot of the buttons to dry away the excess
water after soaking the housing in fresh water. I also found that you are suppose to drop liquid silicone into these slots before
putting the housing into storage.
I have never done either.

My questions is: How to fix the sticky buttons problem at this stage?

3. I have placed an order for some liquid silicone at my LDS. I hope it will help with the problem, but what if it doesn't?
Do I then have to send the housing back to Ikelite for service?
How much does it cost?
How long does the service usually take?
Can the Ikelite dealer in Singapore do the service?
If I have to send the housing back to Ikelite in the States, I might have
problems (import tax) with the Indonesian customs when Ikelite sends it back to me after the service.
I can avoid the custom problem by sending it back through the local Indonesian Ikelite dealer, but the problem is they can never
tell me how long I have to wait before getting the housing back, something to do with consolidating all their shipping from abroad.

Thank you for bearing with me, I know it's a long and tedious post but I have a once in a lifetime trip coming up in less than two months.

Regards,
BravoPapaWhisky

BravoPapaWhisky,

Answers are below in bold.

Hi there,

I have sent a PM to Ikelite Staff regarding the issues I have, but decided to also post here so other people might benefit from reading the exchange.

1. First of all, I managed to broke my deflector and lost my diffuser panel for my Canon S90 housing (long and frustrating story).
I am wondering if I can buy them directly from Ikelite. Yes, we will sell small accessory items direct to the customer. You must call Ikelite customer service direct at 317-923-4523 with a Visa/MC number.
The local dealer in Indonesia doesn't have them on stock, and they don't know how to order from Ikelite because the parts don't
have any part number. Even if they could, it would take them very long (more than 3 months) to order.

2. My second issue is with sticky buttons.
I always soak my housing in fresh water after each dive, but in my last dive trip I experienced sticky buttons when going deeper
than 30 feet (9m), sometimes even shallower.
I have had the housing for about one year and took it down around 100 times.
Reading through stuff on the net, I found that some people also blow air into the slot of the buttons to dry away the excess water after soaking the housing in fresh water. I also found that you are suppose to drop liquid silicone into these slots before putting the housing into storage.
I have never done either.

My questions is: How to fix the sticky buttons problem at this stage? Send the housing to the Ikelite Service Department; see address below.

3. I have placed an order for some liquid silicone at my LDS. I hope it will help with the problem, but what if it doesn't? You should ONLY use Ikelite lubricant on your housing. Aftermarket lubricants can cause o-rings to swell or crack machined acrylic.
Do I then have to send the housing back to Ikelite for service? Yes.
How much does it cost? A routine overhaul is $125.00. If any work is needed, Ikelite will contact you.
How long does the service usually take? Normal service turnaround time is approximately 2-3 weeks.
Can the Ikelite dealer in Singapore do the service? No.
If I have to send the housing back to Ikelite in the States, I might have
problems (import tax) with the Indonesian customs when Ikelite sends it back to me after the service.
I can avoid the custom problem by sending it back through the local Indonesian Ikelite dealer, but the problem is they can never
tell me how long I have to wait before getting the housing back, something to do with consolidating all their shipping from abroad. Regarding this shipping question, you can send an email request to "repair@ikelite.com."

Thank you for bearing with me, I know it's a long and tedious post but I have a once in a lifetime trip coming up in less than two months. No problem. You can also email me directly at brett@ikelite.com if you have any additional questions.

Send the housing to:

Ikelite Underwater Systems
Attn. Service Dept.
50 W. 33rd St.
Indianapolis, IN 46208 USA

Regards,
BravoPapaWhisky

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom