Coming From AZ To La Jolla/San Diego - Oct 14-17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milkmood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My son and I are coming over to do some low budget shore diving between San Diego and Oceanside next week. I've looked over this: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: California South, USA West and found several of the easier ones quite appealing. Some of them seem a little outdated.

Any suggestions, things to avoid, gotchyas, tides/currents to watch out for, dangers, things to see, etc?

I am AOW certified 1 1/2 years with almost 50 dives logged...he is newly OW certified with 8-9 dives.

I'd be even more grateful if some somebodies wanted to dive with us and show us your faves.

Thanks in advance!

Chris & Ben

There is a very nasty red tide right now in San Diego, although it makes the breaking surf look really cool at night.
It has been around for awhile so I doubt it will be gone before you get here.
Today I had to go deeper than 40 ft to get below it to clearer water. Bring a light because it is dark underneath it.

Great reports...thanks a bunch. Hopefully the red tide will stay clear in the La Jolla area. is that the red tide that's toxic to marine life? Is it also toxic to humans?

I see a spot called La Jolla Cove, is that a good place to go for beginners? Any other suggestions with good dive conditions? Are there life guards present at most of the popular places? Are dive flags required in California?

Another typical shore dive in San Diego is Vallecitos Point in La Jolla Shore; You can check it out with the sim.
Just don't go deeper than ~60ft with your son

Another typical shore dive in San Diego is Vallecitos Point in La Jolla Shore; You can check it out with the sim.
Just don't go deeper than ~60ft with your son

Thanks! The more the better. We're planning on diving well within his limits. Don't want to be a headline.

La Jolla is nice and EZ as far as SoCal shore dives go anyway. The real deal killer in SoCal is typically surf. It can be up or down and that depends on so many factors that honestly (it would take a several page post to depart this information) it would be best if you checked in to a local dive shop and asked what/where is good today when you get your air fills and any other small things you might need. They have always been more than helpful. Also, just going to a popular dive site like La Jolla will likely allow you to spot a local diver to ask for info. Last time i was at La Jolla I wasn't diving but I spoke to a few divers and saw about 20 going in and out. The locals seem to love to share info on their beloved spots to new folks as they were once new too. Enjoy!

We dove La Jolla when we were last there (cove) and it was great. Little current, fairly shallow,good vis. Getting out was a bit of a pain (surf), but an awesome dive. We went into the caves which you may not want to try with a newer diver, but there is plenty to see. The Sea Lions were great. We were amazed at the number of folks playing in/on the water. Not as many divers but everything else.

Have fun!

My son was in a car accident on Monday, and was fine, but by the time we got here yesterday (Thursday), his back was really tweaked out so we called off the diving for Thursday and Friday. Saw a chiropractor today, got adjusted. The chiro said he could snorkel today if we wanted, but we didn't. We'll go back for another crack in the morning and head to Marine Room after that for some snorkeling. If that goes well, we'll gear up and try a dive. Any reason not to try diving at Marine Room tomorrow (Saturday)?

Glad your son's OK. The weather has been warm on the coast and the red tide was a little thick. Visibility was good below 50 fsw on Thursday but pretty soupy above that. Might want to plan your dives (sites with available depths) accordingly. Best bet is to check with an area shop as it seems to be changing pretty dramatically at the shores on a day-to-day basis.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom