How strong of a swimmer are you?

How strong of a swimmer are you?

• I can best a Navy SEAL in a triathalon

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I swim confidently without fins or flotation

Votes: 106 83.5%
  • I need my fins to survive

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • I paid off my instructor to avoid that part of my diver certification!

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ImUnderwater

Registered
Reaction score
It's amazing to me how many divers have very basic (if any) swimming skills, even after they're certified.

So are you a strong swimmer, or can you just swim well enough with fins to get back to the boat?

Very strong swimmer. With fins on I routinely cover about 2,000 yards on my Saturday outings.

I'm just finishing the stress&rescue course under SSI. The Scuba school where I've learned to dive are very intensive with security and fitness.
Also with the OWD course we had to swim during 20 minutes for the pool exam.
Now with the S&R course we must swim a lot during the pool sessions and in the open sea check out.
Though sometimes it's bothersome, I realize that my resistance and lung capacity have increased and my body is now better.
To start with this course I begun swimming every day 1/2 an hour and that made me a better swimmer.
Perhaps, after check-out I will return to my sedentary life, but I will try not to.
Now I can swim almost unlimited with breast stroke and something like 600 yards free style, without fins. With fins mask and snorkel even much more.

I'm working on it. Scuba diving has been my motivation to loose weight and get in better shape. So far I'm heading in the right direction!

I'm a very strong swimmer, but won't put myself up there with the SEALS!!!! I try to swim a mile every other day to keep in shape. I'm very comfortable in the water, which helps me use very little gas while I'm scuba diving. I believe more people should have some swimming skills, especially after reading recent events where people were left at sea, and shore was only a mile or two away. If their swimming skills were honed, they would not have had to wait to near nightfall before being saved. Not that I'm putting the blame on them for what happened, but I know that if I'm ever in a position like that, I have the skills necessary to try to save my own life be being able to swim a couple miles to shore. Just my thoughts and answer to your question. :D

Very strong

When I did my open water course, I hadn't swam in about four or five years. Thus, I winged it for 200 meters. Although I made it on front crawl, I did struggle a little with the endurance at the end (I overexerted myself at the beginning).

After the OW course, I took the initiative and signed up for an intermediate swimming course. Now I swim laps a few times a week for 600+ meters (decently with the main stroke types).

I thought it was important to learn because, when diving, there's always the chance that you'll have some sort of emergency requiring adequate swimming. Plus my frog kick and flutter kick have improved as well underwater.

Very Weak. Did not learn to swim untill about age 70, despite Offshore Yachting. During the Winter for exercise I do 600m -slowly! & underwater accross the Pool several times. In the Summer I prefer MTB.

Voted "I need my fins to survive"

Because, ofc I can swim, I can swim and rescue someone too but I am not that relaxed and smooth in the water, if I got lost at sea (if no wetsuite or other stuff) and had to swim without at least fins I think I would not make it many hours until I got too tired. One time swimming a week and in a couple of months it would be fine, if I just could drag my ass there....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom