Recommend US Warm Water Non-Trimix Beginner Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be completing my Tech Wreck Penetration this fall/winter. (what the H is it with my timing??? :shakehead:)

I'm planning for next year -- want to stay US for cost's sake.

What would you recommend for Newbie Wreck Penetrations? Something to be explored with less than 1/2 hour deco.

Jax, you've got a drysuit, what's up with the warm water requirement?!?!?!?! :idk: Get some decent undergarments :shakehead::shakehead:

Jax, you've got a drysuit, what's up with the warm water requirement?!?!?!?! :idk: Get some decent undergarments :shakehead::shakehead:

:tongue2: :mooner:

All the drysuit does is make 65o almost tolerable. :D

Good point. Define "warm" !

May as well define "non-trimix" as well. :wink:

:giggle: Two deco gasses, best mix for the bottom. No envelope-pushing, just comfortable dives. :)

:giggle: Two deco gasses, best mix for the bottom. No envelope-pushing, just comfortable dives. :)

what is your definition of "best mix" equivalent narcotic depth? Some use 100' or less, some dive air to 220'.

Give us a max depth you are comfortable diving air/nitrox to and you might have more luck.

:huh: Erm, I always liked O2% = 1.4 / PATA.

But probably 160' until I can get some experience.

Last edited:
Your best bet and most cost effective option will likely be South Florida - Ft. Lauderdale area. Plenty of vessels sunk as artificial reefs that present fantastic training sites. The HYDRO ATLANTIC (top around 130-140', sand around 175') is a great site to get into the deeper stuff, and provides fantastic potential for penetration training. There are dozens and dozens of sites from 100-300'+, and most are about a 30 minute run to get to so you can do two trips a day if you want. In the winter time when weather is generally iffy overall, you still have a really good shot at getting out compared to other more northern areas of the US. If it's blowing out of the NW-W-SW you are golden due to the limited fetch.

I will be completing my Tech Wreck Penetration this fall/winter. (what the H is it with my timing??? :shakehead:)

I'm planning for next year -- want to stay US for cost's sake.

What would you recommend for Newbie Wreck Penetrations? Something to be explored with less than 1/2 hour deco.

The Mispah to get really comfortable with many levels of penetration possible.... see Trip to Palm Beach to dive with Goliath Groupers! - YouTube
at 2:23 into the video you see the goliath heading into the right side access to an entrance to the lower deck, below the one you are already in...this being a serious penetration, and one too tight for me to squeeze my camera into with the lights not getting seriously in the way....and, it is a low overhead, meaning I would not want to use my freediving fins in the lower deck--it would be jet fins or some equivalent where no silting bottom or top would become a big deal fast.

Jax, you would do this on the boat Narcosis, since it is a huge boat that does not wallow in seas like most dive boats, and would drastically reduce the chance of seasickness in even 5 foot or bigger seas....and you would pick a day when the seas are nice and flat anyway :)

When the Mispah gets to be easy for you to penetrate, the Castor or the Hydro are the next 2 to plan on, in that order...the Castor is more like 118 at bottom I think, and the Hydro at 165 or so....but I do NOT think you should be playing with penetrating the hydro without Trimix... If you have to penetrate the hydro, I will loan you one of my tanks :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom